3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge 2500 - Overload Springs Not Possible ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 PM
oregon2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 2500 - Overload Springs Not Possible ??

[:@]I was just informed by an aftermarket spring maker that it is not possible to put overload springs on the new Dodge Ram pickups (2500 SRW) . This is due to the box construction of the frame rails that does not allow bolting the stops to the rail and Dodge does not allow anything to be welded to the rail. Does anyone have some insight on this ??

(The 3500 SRW comes with overloads but apparently the stops are welded on at the factory prior to final hardening of the rails- that is how the factory gets away with it)

Old 09-25-2004, 02:23 AM
Lil Devil
Default RE: Dodge 2500 - Overload Springs Not Possible ??

Is this what you are looking for? I have used them before on my Chevy and they were a breeze to install and worked pretty good.

http://www.hellwigproducts.com/helpe...avy_dodge.html

I am actually going the Firestone bag route on my 3500 1-ton instead but would use Hellwigs again if the opportunity presented itself.

let me know if you have any questions.

Old 09-25-2004, 05:01 AM
oregon2
Default RE: Dodge 2500 - Overload Springs Not Possible ??

Lil Devil- thanks for the information-- because the Hellwig springs attach to the stock leaf springs they may have some effect on the empty ride. The type I was talking about are like the stock ones found on the 3500 series trucks- they are independent of the stock springs and come into play only when put under load. They require spring stops to be mounted to the frame and that is why I was told by the aftermarket spring company they would not do it because of warranty issues with drilling or welding to the frame in a new Dodge pickup..[]

Quick Reply: Dodge 2500 - Overload Springs Not Possible ??