3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headers and cat help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 PM
fannitti
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers and cat help

i have a 05 1500 and it has a flowmaster cat back dual exhaust on it. i want to make it a lil bit louder. whats the best way to go? headers and high flow cats? and if so what is a great recomended brand? or should i go with just welding in a y-pipe and leave stock headers and cats?

Old 06-01-2007, 09:41 PM
CubanHemi
Amateur
Default RE: headers and cat help

If your going for noise, Cherrybomb Glass will work. J/K LOL!!! Other than exhaust cutouts, Flowmasters, IMHO, is about as loud as it's going to get. Another way to make the Flowmasters louder, and this is coming from my Mustang experience, is to go with a larger diameter tail pipe. I went from 2 1/2" to 3" and holy crap, it sounded like I threw on some race-only mufflers. Totally a different sound. LOUD with a really nice deeptone. Sounded like I had a big block.

As far as headers go, I would get some shorties, and then just wait on the high flow cats. They are way expensive. I know JBA makes a nice pair. Headers and the factory pre-cat tubing should be o.k. . I would only replace the cats when they get some good miles on them. I have seen them priced, just for the cats alone, no tubing, for upwards of $400. Hope this helps. Good luck

Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 PM
fannitti
Professional

yea i have the bigger tips on my exhaust now and it sounds great. but i also herd if i do headers and keep the stock cats it wont make any diff what so ever? and what about changing the y pipe?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:29 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

headers w/ stock cats makes no diff cause the stock cats are restrictive. to make the best out of headers you need hi flow cats and intake. as far as the y pipe goes, as long as your y pipe inlets are no smaller than your header outlets and the y goes into at least 3" pipe. it's simpler if you look at this way....minimize your restrictions. you said you have an 05. you can just run true duals.

however, from your other posts it seems as though you are looking mainly for sound. just find a muffler and set of tips that suit your fancy and save some money.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 PM
djr04
All Star

The y pipe has a crushed design I guess, so that may restrict airflow some. As far as the effect on sound though, I have no clue.

Quick Reply: headers and cat help