3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Want a more aggresive look

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Tat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want a more aggresive look

I own a 04 2WD QC Hemi Ram. I really want to put some bigger tires and aftermarket rims on it. I want the beast to look a li'l meaner and have tires to help me when I go fishing on the beach. It was suggested to me to put on a 3" body lift, go with some 17X8 in rims. I really don't know what size tire I should put on rims of that size and if the body lift is needed. Any Suggestions.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:05 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Want a more aggresive look

Tat. If you have an 04 hemi ram you already have that size rim either in steel or aluminium. To aviod the weight penalty of the stock 20" rims, you could go plus one on the size of the rims to an 18" x 9" or 10". Wider tires will definitely help on the beach. Personally, I don't think a lift of any kind makes a truck look more aggressive, well for street use anyway.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:43 PM
brderj
Veteran

I have 17 inch rims with 33x12.50 tires. As you look at the picture let me tell you this, the pictures don't do it justice. I know because the first 5 months I looked only at pictures while I was deployed and when I first got to see her in person, WOW. A lift will really help but you dont need one for these tires. The width will help with the sand and the MT will gobble up anything you come accross. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2004, 05:48 PM
grayghost

Dont do the body lift you might regret it. I did on my offroad rig. I do feel that a lift is much more aggresive, especially when you pull up behind somebody and all they see is that Big Ram Grill in there rear view Mirror. The Body lift is Cheaper but entails alot of work and stress on alot of your essentials, like brake lines/ steering shaft/ etc. Also they require a fair amount of maintenance. such as adjusting your body blocks, checking all your extenders, re-torque of your brackets for the radiators/steering stem/bumpers/brake lines/wiring etc. The 33-1250-17's should be able to fit without to much rubbing without any lift. Good luck with your choices.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Tat

Thanks for the input fellas. I'm looking at all the rims on the net and they all have different sizes such as 17X8, 17X10, etc. What would be the best route to go with when dealing with the width of the rim? Probably the wider rim, but does it matter as much? I guess my question is: If I was to go with the 33X12.50R17 (which seem to be scarce and a pretty penny) What rim size would be the best match for these size tires? I've also read alot about tread type and design, but does anyone have any suggestions on what brand or where to find good deals on these tires? Thanks for all the help. Tat

Old 09-23-2004, 02:38 AM
elisharulez

Ive seen alot of people that use the TrXus STS tire. they are pretty popular and are for All terrain use. although i forgot the price.

Old 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM
brderj
Veteran

Now I am no rim expert but from what I understand the 17x8 is about the most popular rim size you can buy, and with that you get more tire options. Now a 33x12.50 MT tire isnt going to be cheap, thats a whole lot of rubber. But a lift costs more than tires, then you HAVE to buy new rims and tires if you get a lift.......... It just goes on and on. You want the look, dig deep. Like I said I went through Les Shwabb, I don't know what tire stores you have where you live. But look around, and if I come accross a good price somewhere on the net I'll be sure to let you know. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2004, 01:36 PM
grayghost

You are correct about the Tires and rims not being cheap. If you go with a 33-1250-17 tire I would not go with the 8 inch rim. ( tire width exceeds rim width by more than 4") The shallower rim with the wider tire could cause the tire to break the bead during offroad use or hard cornering. If price is a real concern try going with a 15" rim with the 33's. You will still get the tire size and the tire will still fill the wheel well the same as a 17" rim. Another possibility would be to go with a 18" rim. there are alot of manufacturers that have 33-1250-18 as well as the 17's. If you are willing to buy online try 4wheelparts wholesalers. I am not sure what the web address is so you might have to look through yahoo search or google. They do have very competitive prices and really good customer service. Send a pic when it is done, would like to see it with the new rims and 33's.

Old 09-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Tat

Is a rim less than 17in. compatible with this truck? I was under the impression that the only size rim the truck would take would be 17's or greater. I sure hope it does take smaller rims cause that opens up some more options. Thanks I'll research some more.

Old 09-24-2004, 06:41 PM
repsol

NO, your wheel need to be atlest 17 inch to clear the brake calipper - someone on this board told me that. and some aftermarket 17 inch would even fit.

Quick Reply: Want a more aggresive look