3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 AM
NJMandCEM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

WOW.... Just by readin those web adresses..... I think someone is favoring GM vehicles....

Old 06-10-2007, 02:51 PM
sternvern

AMERICAN THUNDER BY FLOWMASTER.

DODGE ALWAYS MAKES A STATEMENT WHEN GOING DOWN THE ROAD AND THIS SYSTEM WILL SURELY BRING ATTENTION!

[IMG]local://upfiles/64971/586DA9642BC44039BC898FD3DFC1E387.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-10-2007, 07:26 PM
bigcountry739
Rookie

I've got a 3"SI/2.5"DO Cherry Bomb Extreme muffler on mine, love the way it sounds! Here's a sound clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEtFg_OiKIg

Old 06-11-2007, 02:42 PM
NJMandCEM
Professional

But... How do they sound with the MDS system?....

Old 06-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Mopartoya

Hey guys...Guess I'll pop my cherry here (1st post).

Which motor are we talking about? I have an 06 Hemi. Earlier it's been suggested to go w/ a 3" in and 2.5" Dual out. I know that is the correct formula for a hemi, but I'd doubt it's the same for the 4.7. I think that setup would loose too much back pressure for the 4.7. On my Ram, I'm running the Magnaflow 16701 which takes out all resonators after the "Y" pipe (or where the two pipes meet after the manifolds & cats) and replaces it w/ a stainless 3" pipe entering a 3" in dual 2.5" out muffler with the two 2.5" pipes exiting in front of the passenger side rear tire through 3.5" polished stainless tips. Sure, it's loud, but thats what I was wanting. My truck sounds better than any other truck I've ever heard. It gets people to turn their heads every time I accelerate. It idles rather quiet, but when you lean into it, she sings a deep throaty strong sounding tune. I don't have any sound clips of mine, but Magnaflow has one on their site.

I used to have an 01 Dakota 4x4 4.7L. Loved it. I was running a 40 series flowmaster that dumped in front of the rear axle. Single in, single out (don't remember the sizes), but it seemed to kick out of OD at around 70mph and I think it did this because of the lack of back pressure. Don't get me wrong, when I leaned into it would get, because of the lack of back pressure, but I think it effected it's "daily driving ability". Hell, my Dak would smoke Z71's religiously. I never lost a race to another truck in that thing. Closest race was against a Tundra.

So, performance wise, Turndowns are great at wide open throttle (WOT), but prolly suffer a little bit when running low rpm's (1500-2k). I love the sound of turndowns, but they're very loud in the cab. In the country, you could hear my Dakota from 2 miles away. I don't want something quite that loud this time around, so I opted for the Magnaflow side exit this time around... Don't get me wrong, my Hemi is very loud and can be heard very well in the cab, so if your not wanting to hear it, don't get what I got. Everyone's different though. The side exit in front of the rear tire looks sharp though! I'll have my gallery up soon.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM
bradp337

Im going to get magna flow one into two exit before the back tire and the passenger side. Does anyone have any opinions on this before i go and get it installed? I have the 5.7 hemi with mds, is that going to make any difference in what exhaust i should get?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Mopartoya

Hey bradp337,

I too have the mds 5.7 and the same exhaust your thinking about. You can hear a difference, but it doesn't sound like a rice burner in any way. It just purrs while 4 are hitting, and as soon as there is a load on it all 8 hit instantly. I'm happy w/ mine. Oh, and in case you wanna pic of how it will look.....

Old 06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
bradp337

Thanks mopartoya! I really like the out the side look. The truck is looking bad ***. I found a guy that will build me a custom system out the side with a magna flow muffler and two 3" out the side, painted with ceramic paint for $100. This guys isn't a hack either. He has won awards for his exhaust systems and i went to look at them last night and i could see why. he does excellent work. Can't wait!!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 PM
mberg501

hey guys great info and pics i have read pretty much everything here i can find on exhaust but nothing really about the intake and exhaust combos.

i have an 05 crew cab 4.7 and would like to know what you think would be the best combo for intake and exhaust.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!