3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any idea what this is??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:31 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any idea what this is??

I had my dash apart again and everytime i see this connector. Is some type or female end of an electrical connection. Its located right behind the HVAC panel.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16816/0094F37016BB447BA9E2C1C9BC9B4EE0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-09-2007, 12:37 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Any idea what this is??

Do you have the cigarette lighter under the vent and the AC outlet at the bottom of the dash?

Also do you have the defrosters in the mirrors with the button just below your AC?

Old 06-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

I think itsyourAsynchronous Current Distribution Connector or AC/DC.
If its not connected your stereo can only play soft rock and elevator music.

Nah just kidding, it looks exactly like the plug on my cigarette lighter.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:01 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

but both cigarette lighters (well the cigarette lighter and the 12 volt socket) work and yes i do have the defrosting mirrors and they work and that connector is plugged into anything

Old 06-09-2007, 02:23 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Is it Hot all the time or only when something is on like yer headlights or AC?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:45 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

are you asking if the connector is hot all the time? if so i never checked, its actually attatched to a little clip that holds it in that spot, not connected to anything

Old 06-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HansonHVAC

are you asking if the connector is hot all the time? if so i never checked, its actually attatched to a little clip that holds it in that spot, not connected to anything
Yeah, I was thinking if it's hot all the time, you might wanna put a dust cap on it.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:35 AM
cmoschip
Rookie

I believe it is the connection for a factory light for the coinholder and drinkholder - many trucks didn't have them facvtory installed for some reason but have the connection. The "light" is a little plastic plate with two light green LEDs on it - doesn't put out a ton of light but is nice to have. 15-20 bucks at the dealer and slides right in.Found the below info on "another popular dodge forum"

Here's the blurb from another forum and a picture of the light:

Ever since I bought my '04 Ram over two years ago, I noticed that at night it was always a "find by braille" to put the beverage back in the cupholder. For a while, I did the "poor man's trick" of turning my cell phone charger's LED light towards the cupholder - which worked fine! That only lasted until I got my XM Radio, which it's power plug's LED is quite dim - surely not bright enough to light up my cupholder. Finally I ran across a couple threads on here talking about some mysterious "cupholder light" that people were installing. Is this some velco light? Nah! Even more simple than that - on the assembly line, they put the guy who falls asleep on the job on the "Dodge Light Group" area of the assembly line. Some trucks get this "Light Group Package" - but when Bob nods off, a couple trucks get skipped for a slight discount, and lack of cupholder & ash tray lights. Luckily, Dodge has us covered and offers this nice little part for approximately $20 ( I paid $23 after taxes, where I have seen other members listing a nice $18 price tag. )

This is so simple to install, even if you have never turned a wrench on your own car.

First, go to your Dodge dealer and order part number "55361226aa." Here it is in all it's glory:

Plugs in here:

Old 06-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it on mine. Don't waste your money!! It doesn't throw enough light to bother with. Mine came with an interior light package. I pitched it and added some aftermarket LED's. It hot when you turn on the parking lamps, does not dim with the rest of the interior lights.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Cordoba man
Professional

I put lights under my dash and it's enough to see where my cupholders are. And it's good if I drop anything in the dark.

Quick Reply: Any idea what this is??