3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

mopar tow pkg install

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 AM
vsraptor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mopar tow pkg install

has anyone had the mopar tow pkg istalled after buying the truck? I just bought my 2007 2500 Ram QC Heavy Duty 4x4 5.9 Cummins, it was supposed to have tow pkg and satelite radio in it. But upon delivery it doesn't so the dealership is puting it on at there expense.. I really hope it is a good install.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:28 AM
Palm
Professional
Default RE: mopar tow pkg install

When they get it installed, check every component that a factory tow package has on it against what they have put on. It's supposed to have a higher capacity alternator, battery and engine cooling system along with the 7-pin trailer plug.

I know of a case where the dealer installed a class IV hitch on a person's truck and told them that was all the towing package consisted of. Look at a truck on the lot and get a list of the equipment the package consists of and make sure that you get it all. Check the size of the transmission oil cooler on a truck that has the package and then take a look at the one on your truck.

It will surprise me if you get the true towing package, they may try to convince you that the other stuff is not necessary. Don't believe them.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:34 AM
vsraptor
Professional

good pointer, going to talk to dealer tommorow

Old 06-09-2007, 04:52 AM
vsraptor
Professional

you know everything i look at on the internet says the tow pkg includes hitch, 750 amp battery and 7 pin wireing harness. is there anything diferent icould use?

Old 06-09-2007, 03:40 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

You get the tranny cooler with the tow package I think, but mine is a HD, so it might be only with the HD version. Did you pay for those options and they just didn't come in the truck? Get your build sheet through dodge and see what was supposed to be in you truck

Old 06-09-2007, 05:35 PM
vsraptor
Professional

mine is a Heavy Duty version too, would the tranny cooler already be on it. No I didnt pay for it. But i asked for the tow pkg and was told is was on there, so i started paper work. When the truck arrived from the dealership they traded with it was not on there. Same way with the Sirious satelite radio. Both are bieng added and a few scratches being buffed out this thursday and he giing me a loaner too.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:06 AM
Palm
Professional

Sorry vsraptor, I didn't notice that your truck is equipped with the Cummins Diesel, so the tow package for it should consist of the 750 ampere battery, the 7-pin connector and the class IV hitch just as you found.

When they install the 7-pin connector make sure that they have provided the wiring for electric trailer brakes and made the power connection to the battery. As it comes with the instructions to do this, maybe they will figure it out, but I'm not very trustworthy of dealers. Some of them don't know squat.

Quick Reply: mopar tow pkg install