3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fan cutting out!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:26 PM
matsram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan cutting out!

took some your guys advice and started looking for the reason why my blower fan cuts out when the steering colum is moved up and down. i found the harness plug on the side of the colum to melted and the wire going into the plug to be corroded and cracked insulation about 3 inches back from plug. not sure
if i should try to fix or take to dealer and let them deal with it, i would have to think if not taken care of may cause a fire in the colum while im driving. it's about a 10 gauge wire, what do you guys think?

Old 06-09-2007, 01:56 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star
Default RE: fan cutting out!

Uh... I would say get it fixed. If your ride is under warrenty, and this matter is covered (ask the dealership) then let them do it. Otherwise, you are going to need to do some wiring. Is this wire next to a pinch point, something caused that wire to melt, they usually don't do that on their own.You are going to want to figure that out first, or all your work will be in vein. Then just match diameter of wire to be replaced with what you are replacing it with, solder and tape your connections and you should be good.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:23 PM
matsram
Professional

why do you think it corroded? the box and plug are located on the turn signal side of the colum, its the only harness going to the colum under the dash and not like it gets wet. i prolly will take it in but how do i tell them its melted with out them thinking i messed with it and i made the plug melt?

Old 06-09-2007, 02:52 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Well, you didn't right? If you were splicing wires to put in an aftermarket car alarm or starter or something, I would understand them not helping you, or at least for cheap. I am not too sure what would have caused the corrosion, but the melting is most likly from damage to the wire, flattening it (wires heat up when compressed or wrapped, you be suprised how many house fire occur because people put extension cords under carpets and walk on them all the time, flattening them out, or by wrapping the excess wire tightly around the bottom of a christmas tree or lamp.)

Old 06-09-2007, 03:05 PM
matsram
Professional

no, this started about a week ago the fan stopping i tried to show some pics but i guess they were too large and no i dont have an alarm or starter actually i have a habit leaving the keys in it.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:31 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Yeah, about the keys, me too. That is why I was looking at that starter button post, changing it over to a stealth start button using the cigar lighter. Does the wire look flattend?

Old 06-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chances are the wire in the junction block is what caused the melting. A high amperage wire (10ga.) pulls a lot of current. If the connection in the block is poor, it will cause tons of heat. The more heat it causes, the worse the connection gets and the more heat it generates etc. See what the dealership will do for you. The best bet is to wire around the block and use soldered, shrink tube covered connections for those high amperage connection repairs.

For a clean looking repair, get uninsulated butt connectors, crimp as usual then solder them, cover with shrink tube and viola' your done.

Quick Reply: fan cutting out!