3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

damn

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 05:15 PM
07Ramjam
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: damn

ORIGINAL: Pirata

Virgina state law is simple, if it's not stock it's illegal. If the cop wants to bust you about your exhaust you have no chance of beating it due to the DB output or if it's "street legal." The cases are few and far between but they can and will bust you if they want. Since I am thinking about throwing a flowmaster on my truck I am literally taking a chance about it being legal what I am doing but I will risk it however if I get busted I know I will lose in court.
This sucks!!!

Ive heard that here in Cali. they are trying to do the same thing.STOCK ONLY!!Everything else will be illegal.They also are teaching alot of cops what to look for in all aspects of modified cars.I know thats nothing new,but they are getting very **** now and there is no tolorance.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to wonder how they could make a non-stock exhaust law work. If you replace it due to old age, and it is put on by an exhaust shop, or some facimile of one, then it would also be "non stock"

What might help the high DB level is to run them out the back, but turn them down towards the pavement to reflect the sound, rather than straight out which hits them directly with the sound wave--sort of like a light diffuser only for sound.

Oh wait---I know what might work---run the pipes straight back and add some fart cans----uhhhhhhh
I don't think so. The ricers might get envious!!!!!

Sorry---just had to add that.

Old 06-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a lawyer here but I have taken enough troops to court and listened to everyone plead their cases while I was waiting for my troop's case to be called. The judges have heard any an all bull**** that people try to plead buttheysaid specifically if it's not stock it's illegal. If you have to replace the stock one for another stock equivalent this is fine, I assume, but replacing the stock muffler for a set of glasspacks for more hp (or just to be cool) is illegal.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:28 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: FFMedic1479

It might be cheaper to pay the occasional ticket then it is to change an entire exhaust... plus, I think it is a misdomenor not a driving infraction, so it shouldn't effect your insurance.
I would even frame the first ticket and proudly display it on my wall.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:27 PM
deanj287
Captain

that blows that if it isnt stock its illegal. i always use as little throttle as possible when i spot a po. you must have been gettin on it to set those alarms off. even with my cutout i have to be into the gas to set off alarms

Old 06-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran

nope was coming down a hill and just letting it rumble on the way down so i was thinkin of adding pipes any ideas of where to go with them i was thinkin of putting like a side pipe type thing or a nascar exhaust set up on there only exiting out both sides instead of one i dont want a split rear for the fact of all the salt and **** on the roads in winter time and yes if i get a ticket i will scan it and post it here then frame it.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Why not get the setup with a high temp silinoidwhere you can change it to where it is a dump, or it will run through the mufflers like normal? That way you have the rumble when wanted and the quiet to please the law.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran

i will do that when i get my headers bought i have to quit smoking first before i can get them i made that deal with my wife and its been damn near 2 months since that deal was made and still smokin it sucks *****

Old 06-10-2007, 11:43 PM
djr04
All Star

an electric cutout (200 bucks through dmh) will give you control with a switch to choose to route through a dump or route through a quieter exhaust system.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:14 PM
eltupac
All Star

I agree with djr.

Quick Reply: damn