3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

damn

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default damn

damn as i have a dumped exhaust system. Johnny Law does not seem to approve I moved to a new city recently and was driving down the road and set off 3 car alarms right down the street and got pulled over. He told me to get my exhaust fixed and i said its legal and he laughed and looked and was right it is again this is the second time different city. So i am thinkin about finishing it out the back now i told him its prolly not gonna be any quieter just different sounding so i should send my bill to the Cedar Rapids Police Department?? just wondering is gonna be queiter with pipes??

Old 06-09-2007, 01:52 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star
Default RE: damn

That blows man. Look up or ask the PD what the local sound ordinance is, usually there is a dB level that is set. If they are going to bust your ***** all the time, you are gonna probably want to be as close to that "legal" level as possible. I know that I am not legal with my SuperTruck exhaust, but the cops around here have better things to do then ballbreak someone for having a loud exhaust. That is usually reserved for a guy who is a dick to the cop... which is never a smart move since they can always find something to bend you over with. Putting full pipes on might quiet it, I have no idea by how much.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:53 PM
matsram
Professional

it prolly wont be any quiter, if you put them straight out the back, it will be right in there ears then and will get pulled over more often than you do now. maybe some straight stacksthrough the front of the bed pushing the sound up and away from john law. just my 0.02

Old 06-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran

i dont know i was thinkin about that and having them exit in front of the rear wheels on both sides but i am not sure how that will work but my guess is straight out the back will be how its gonna go just feel bad for johnny law when i get my headers and straights on.

Old 06-09-2007, 02:12 PM
matsram
Professional

i wouldn't feel bad for him , i'll feel bad for you when your paying your tickets at the court house! in front of the rear tire pass. side is where mine is turned out, its not to terribly loud till i get on it

Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

It might be cheaper to pay the occasional ticket then it is to change an entire exhaust... plus, I think it is a misdomenor not a driving infraction, so it shouldn't effect your insurance.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:00 PM
NJMandCEM
Professional

Maybe you should stop driving by cops that can't afford nice lookin/sounding truck like yours.... hehe

Old 06-09-2007, 03:33 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Or find the local cop bar and start making friends by buying a few rounds.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran

yeah i never had that problem in Des Moines i knew most the cops down there but i set off 3 alarms in a row i think that had to do with the problem with him pulling me over but whatever will see what will happen

Old 06-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Virgina state law is simple, if it's not stock it's illegal. If the cop wants to bust you about your exhaust you have no chance of beating it due to the DB output or if it's "street legal." The cases are few and far between but they can and will bust you if they want. Since I am thinking about throwing a flowmaster on my truck I am literally taking a chance about it being legal what I am doing but I will risk it however if I get busted I know I will lose in court.

Quick Reply: damn