3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Increasing towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:38 PM
Gwub2005
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Increasing towing capacity

The rating on the truck is completely different from the rating on the tow hitch u first need to look at that. any weight higher than 7500lbs u will need a weight distributing system. also all travel trailers have electric brakes and to engage them u will need a electric brake control. a tranny cooler is also a good option if u will be towing often and in hilly terrain.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Increasing towing capacity

i tow a 25ft toyhauler with 1500 hemi qb. I got the bags the weight distr. hitch the aint sway bar the brake controller and everything and I gotta say the hemi does NOT have the power to pull that thing up hills. Its perfect for flat groundbut up hills its embarassing. As in semi's fully loaded with lumber keep up. It sucks when you see a f-450 with a 40ft gearbox fly by you like it was nothing. But for the amount of times we take the trailer its good enough

Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 PM
CindyJohnson

What is the towing capacity for a 2007 dodge ram quad cab 4x4 with 5.7 hemi? We are planning on purchasing a travel trailer and would like to know what our limits for towing will be... Thanks!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CindyJohnson
What is the towing capacity for a 2007 dodge ram quad cab 4x4 with 5.7 hemi? We are planning on purchasing a travel trailer and would like to know what our limits for towing will be... Thanks!

CindyJohnson,

Do you know if it is a ST, SLT or a Laramie? If you'd like to PM me your VIN# I can provide confirmed towing capacities, or you can review the Body Builder website, at the link I've added. There is a lot of useful towing information available there.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2007/docs/dr/mlup.pdf

If you have any questions please let me know and I'd be happy to help.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CindyJohnson
Cindy, do you know what gearing your truck has? Do you know if you have the factory tow package?

Whatever you do, don't go by what an RV dealer tells you that you can tow. Many will tell you whatever they need to to sell you an RV. You should be able to find out here what your limits are but stick to them and don't push the envelope on them. In other words, if you find out it's 8500 lbs, don't go buy an RV with a dry weight of 8400 lbs and think you will be okay. You have to also consider gross weight among other things which means you have to include the weight of things you carry in the truck, including people, and things you pack in the RV.

Quick Reply: Increasing towing capacity