3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front end jerkiness....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:56 PM
dljdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end jerkiness....

I bought my 2004 Ram 2500 4x4 with 48,000 miles on it. It now has 58,000 and is acting funny. After using 4 wheel drive several times for short, easy periods over the past few weeks it's got a jerkiness in the front wheels/steering at low speeds. It feels a lot like it does when the 4x4 is engaged on a solid surface. At first I thought maybe the hubs hadn't disengaged so I backed up several times trying to dislodge them. A friend suggests the drive axle ujoints may be going. It kind of reminds me of the rear end in my old 98 Durango when it needed the rear end fluid changed.

Any ideas? Would this be covered under the 7-70 if it is the ujoints?

Dave

Old 06-13-2007, 10:32 PM
dljdad
Default RE: Front end jerkiness....

I forgot to mention it doesn't make a sound when going around corners, just a jerk you can feel through the steering wheel.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:26 PM
dljdad

While I'm talking to myself I took the power steering cap off to checkthe fluid level. It gave off pressure. It was like removing a radiator cap. Is this right?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM
kctango

I've got a 04 quad 2wheel drive 42,000 miles and you seem to have the same problem as me. Turning at low speeds and you can really feel it turning to the left. I've had it to the dealer and they said it was the rack and pinon, they replaced it under warr. thank god, but it has returned the same problem less than 5,000 miles later. I've read that there is a issue with the hydraulic line and its clamp. still researching. ANY help from anyone would be great.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:24 PM
azdd

I've got an 06 4x 1500 thats the worst truck i've owned as far as suspension goes. The ride is jittery, if you hit the brakes hard in a curve it vibrates almost out of control. Its got factory 20's and i think they overpower the suspension components that were designed for a 17' wheel that 20 or so pounds lighter. Took it to the dealer like 4 times and though they replaced 3 tires that failed road force balancing they say its normal. Any thoughts. I'm now out of warranty but I'd pay to fix it

Quick Reply: Front end jerkiness....