3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
BadRam1
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Question

I'm looking to put a pair of headers on my 2002 Ram 1500 4.7L. So far, all I have on the truck is a Flowmaster 50 Series (single in dual out) exhaust system. I was just about to order them when a thought crossed my mind. Will I need new cats and mufflers to support the headers, or can I just use some sort of crossover pipe and stick with the single cat, single muffler setup I already have. Also, if it's possible to have headers and the setup that I do know, is it even worth it? Wouldn't there be too much restriction to do any good? Please help. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran
Default RE: Header Question

i was lookin into it and my shop told me that i would need new cats and have to go to true dual system with headers.. I was thinkin of just goin true dual exhaust with out headers but they said that i would loose my low end torque without the headers. so i am just gonna wait now and do everything at one time. i dont know much else just what they told me.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
fannitti
Professional

well what are you looking for? sound or power? if ur looking for sound i know what to do but if u want power get some jba shorty headers and highflow cats and go to ur local muffler shop and have them weld the cats on and install the headers. but once again if u want sound just get an electronic dump exhaust. it gose before the muffler and when its open it sounds like ur running open headers. trust me on that i have plenty of friends that have that done, and im getting it soon.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:31 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

I just checked out the Flowmaster site. I liked the way the new Super 44 looked. I'll probably end up taking the intake money I had saved up and use that to run true duals, then take my Summit Racing gift card and blow that on headers. Are Gibson shorties any good? The JBA are a little out of my price range. Thanks for the responses.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 PM
fannitti
Professional

yea those are awsome headers. u need to get the ceramic ones tho so they wont rust. there is no reason to run dual exhaust im telling u the truth get the headers and some highflow cats and add a electronic dump exhaust ur waisting ur money with the cat back systems. i wouldnt lie to u. keek ur y-pipe

Quick Reply: Header Question