3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 AM
darth_laidher
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The New Guy

my quad cab 4.7 flys i was suprized how fast it accelerated today when i got on the gas alittle.

it seems like everyone on here thinks that the 4.7 is a piece of sh*t when its really not.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:06 AM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in the market for a truck and have been driving a 4.7 rental for the past week. The 4.7 has very decent power, and definietely enough torque to launch the truck quick and get around in city traffic. The 4.7 is very quiet, smooth and has a nice sound. It doesnt pull hard at highway speeds. It moves, dont get me wrong, but its not quick.

Then I got an extended test drive in the hemi. Its all muscle. Not as smooth, but it has even more torque for pulling at highway speeds. Quick and it feels great. The best thing about the hemi is the MDS system. I was getting better milage in the hemi on highway driving! City driving is worse.

I would be happy with either but Im going to get the hemi because if your really need to you can put the smack down on those pesky econo boxes.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:11 AM
darth_laidher
Professional

the 4.7 doesnt accelerate fast when your driving normally but if you need power to get speed up it will get the speed. if that makes any sense.

couldnt get it to squeel the tires though damn 20s but it was tryin lol.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:18 AM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: darth_laidher

the 4.7 doesnt accelerate fast when your driving normally but if you need power to get speed up it will get the speed. if that makes any sense.

couldnt get it to squeel the tires though damn 20s but it was tryin lol.
I like the 4.7. I think acceleration from 0-30 is proably the same as the hemi. Both motors have about the same torque. The 4.7 moves well. The differnce with the hemi is that when you stomp the gas at 65 mph and get into the upper rpms, your using all 345hp. The hemi really pulls at highway speeds! In the 4.7, the upper rpms are only giving around 250hp. It moves just fine, but it doesnt pull hard at high speeds.

I dont think anyone should feel bad with a 4.7 I think it feels better/smoother and is more refined for city driving. I do all highway so im getting the hemi.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:29 AM
darth_laidher
Professional

i dont haul anything or tow anything i might look into getting me a camper in the future but i think it will do just fine towing one so im not to worried about it, it just seems that the 4.7 gets a bad rap in here.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
rammindodge03
Rookie

my 4.7 pulls just fine with a trailer full of mulch. It might sound like it is straining but it really pulls. I do about half highway driving and half city driving. i get around 14 mpg in both. havent really checked it all on highway.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:10 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

ORIGINAL: darth_laidher

i dont haul anything or tow anything i might look into getting me a camper in the future but i think it will do just fine towing one so im not to worried about it, it just seems that the 4.7 gets a bad rap in here.
Nobody on here knocks the 4.7 or says its a bad engine. Alot of us just prefer the hemi cuz it has more power and alot of us are power fiends