3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What tint to match back windows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:59 PM
SaRaNaC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What tint to match back windows?

ORIGINAL: blamb

ORIGINAL: SaRaNaC

I hate you all, upstate NY we cant have "ANY" tint on the front window. When you get pulled over and the cop wants to be an ***, he can say peel the tint off right here and now or we tow the car.
This is right from the NYS DMV website...

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to the rear window unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

So go get some, you just don't have to push your luck like some of us choose to do..
It sounds like you can do the windshild also, going to go look into it now.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:07 PM
djr04
All Star

I'm not sure about other states, but South Dakota allows an 8% enforcement window (legal limit for rears is 20%, minus the 8% enforcement window allows for 12%). So in some states you can actually tint darker than the legal limit and still be "legal"

Old 06-30-2007, 09:10 PM
mopar74
Professional

I was referred to the following shop by the local Police Chief, a friend.. If you are in New England this shop is incredible. His plotter has enough information in it to do my two front windows on my Quad cab and a 6" Visor, plotted and installed in under an hour! The visor plotting had input to cut out for the rear view mirror and the remote starter. Absolute perfect match and fit.

If our taxes can pay for this guy and his work is impeccable, it is, I advise anyone in NE to give them a chance before going elsewhere. You should see the State Police Chargers on his site! New Hampshire and Mass. Troopers & many cities and towns.

tint-king.com

Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: RaiderJay6

Llumar 15% iswhat I had on my old truck. It was pretty close. A little more grey then black.

I have 20% on this truck and you can see the difference.

it depends on a few factors....what brand...and is the tine dyed or does it contain metal flake?

our stock windows are roughly 17-18%....most people go 20% because they would rather have it a tad lighter in front than darker....its your choice...also the longevity of the tint depends on how its made....dyed will fade much much faster than tint with metal flake...the tint with metal flake also insulates better and protects from uv rays ect much better....

Old 06-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: brown_one

had 15% johnson put over rear windows. matches the limo dark on back glass.
on my dakota i had 15% put on aswell over my rears....that equates to around 3-5% depending on tint manufacturer and what its composed of...i only got 15% on the fronts though....and a 5% brow....from the outside it all looks the same, but inside you can tell a dif, which i wanted to be able to see out my front windows at night so....

Old 06-30-2007, 09:26 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: chopperzen

Yeah. Def shouldn't be green.. Oh yeah! NEVER clean with windex or anything with amonia init! That's when you seetint go purple.
i enter my hawk in a lot of car shows and have tried tons and tons of products...i have found that stoners invisible glass is some of the best glass cleaner and now i use that exclusively whether im entering in a show or detailing a boat before delivery or even cleaning the windows and mirrors inside the home

Old 01-15-2008, 03:34 PM
soldbyyou.com
Rookie

They all look great, I am going back and forth with what to do with my 08 2500, it just does not look right with 1/2 the windows tinted.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:40 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i hear ya i got the DIY stuff off ebay... works good for a temp... 20%

Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Keep in mind the back "tint" isnt really tint. Its a stain in the glass, not a film. So, theoretically, nothing will match perfectly.

As for my truck, I believe I got 20% on my 2 fronts, which is technically illegal, and slightly lighter than the back 2.

P.S.- My sig pic was taken before the tint was done.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 PM
agargano98
Veteran

i had mine done professionaly 20%. the fronts are actually darker than the factory and the factory looks a little more purple. you can only notice it from the inside, outside looks like a perfect match. i wish i ordered my truck with the clear windows and done all of them the same. oh well!!!![sm=headbang.gif]

Quick Reply: What tint to match back windows?