3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

disable mds permanently

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:34 AM
NJMandCEM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: disable mds permanently

ORIGINAL: rebel3829

awww ok well i got a 2oo7 QC lonestar edtion i think mine has the MDS but i just took the muffler and tail pipe off to get the sraight pipe sound for right know i cant hear any changes int the exaust when im driving down the road hmmmm or my hearings bad
Did ya yank both resonators?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand the comment "if I was worried about mileage I would have bought a Honda," (or something close to that) to a point that since a hemi is an engine known for it's fuel efficiency, or lack thereof. The part I don't get is what's the big deal with leaving the mds on. If I remember correctly it only takes 4 hundredths of a second to switch from mds to non mds and visa versa. Are we talking the sound? Are we talking "no one is going to think I am 'cool' if they don't hear my truck sounding loud at any and all speeds?" I'd suggest using the money you are planning on spending on gas on a shrink about your problem. I have found since I put my flowmaster on my truck that less than 50% of the time am I running on 8 cylinders. I really wish mds would engage when I am idling at a light and burning the most gas. It would be a nice addition to the 2008 or later trucks to have an mds on/off switch in the cab so you could use it as you want.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 PM
deanj287
Captain

ORIGINAL: go49ers

Im going to have a cam put in to eliminate the whole thing
ive heard that even then you still have to get the mds disabled

Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM
go49ers
Professional

I dont think a shrink would be able to fix the anoying loud vibration I feel in the truck whenthe MDSkicks on. But hey maybe your shrink is a mechanic too.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
go49ers
Professional

Do you know of anyone who has been able to have it disabled...just curious

Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

i think...and im not real certain, but whoever said they wanted a cam but also wanted to keep MDS, i believe the 6.1 cam is compatible with MDS, and will still give you some good power gains. also there was a thread a while back in here, and ive tried searching for it and just cant remember the name of the thread, but it was a link to a cam setup that would completely disable MDS. the cost was around $500 if i remember correctly, and they were advertising that the cam, an intake and exhuast, would put you at about 350 at the rear wheels.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:48 AM
kingin

So has anybody tried asking the dealer to disable MDS also how are the tuner chips has anyone tried the tuner program that disables MDS. I am new to American V8 Power but I bought a Hemi knowing it eats gas if I wanted to save gas I would have kept my 06 Honda Element instead traded it in and lost 8,000 bucks in a year I owned it.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:06 AM
djr04
All Star

also another place that offers the service here http://www.krcperformance.com/krc/in...&Itemid=26
scroll down to the blue text.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:32 AM
motorider228
Champion

Johndcjr1989, the 6.1 cam does not work with the mds motor. There is a company that has mds ground cams but I can not think of the company right now.

Even though pirata and I have seemed to disagree a few times on this forum I must agree with him that I like my mds. I have a dumped exhaust and I sure as hell can hear that mds kick in, pretty much all the time. However, it really does not bother me and if I am cruising slowly and want to sound good then I will stick it in tow/haul or o/d off. Also, pirata is correct about it shutting down almost instantaniously. I hear people whine and moan about the mds all the time but it does not bother me and I will take the best mileage I can get, even if I do drive a truck with a drinking problem.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:52 AM
rebel3829

all im running is cats rightnow it sounds good but i gonna put an flowmaster muffler on it and run it to two 5inch bell tips

Quick Reply: disable mds permanently