3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Ram Vs 07 Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 PM
mahinator_cuva
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hemi Ram Vs 07 Tundra

all i can say is i beat an 07 tundra and it was fast but not as fast

Old 09-28-2007, 12:17 AM
2004hemi4x4
Rookie

do the tundras come stock with dual exhaust?

Old 09-28-2007, 08:46 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

I don't have any video to show truth of this. I got a guy I work with that has got a 06 Tundra, and me in my 06 Ram, we ran a 1/4 and I smoked him buy like 2 or 3 car lengths. It was sweeeeet!!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 AM
firebrink

I don't think that Toyota has any thing that special. If you look at there engine, it is no true comparison to the HEMI. It is completely different. There are using a 5.7L with Dual OverHead Cams and all they can get is 36 more horspower and 26 more TQ. HEMI's are a pushrod, two valve design (345 hp from pushrod engine from the factory is rather impressive) Also minor Mods to the HEMI can increase its power by that 36 hp and still keep the total cost under the cost of the Tundra. I am sure that Dodge could have slapped DOHC on a V8 engine and be like Ford and Toyota and really show them how its should be done, but the HEMI is a classic style that is most appropriate for dodge. Also I've read about rumors that dodge is upgrading the HEMI and the RAM in '09, with possibly over 400 hp. Just hope the cost doesn't go up too much.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:40 PM
New2Durango
Professional

The Tundra has a dual exhaust option. If I'm not mistaken I saw in Truck Trend where the Toyota 4-door did 14s and the Avalanche, Ram, and F-150 did 16.9

Old 09-29-2007, 01:48 PM
v8only

ORIGINAL: John M

In an article I read about the new GM trucks, they claimed GM's standard 5.3 liter was faster than Ford's 5.4 (believable) both loaded and unloaded. However, they said they were both faster than the Dodge! I've driven the Ford and I promise it isn't in the same league yet they claimed it beat a Hemi to 60 by .4 seconds and the Chevy was ahead by half a second over the Dodge.
This is what's strange, I've got a guy on another board ( a mustang board) who is EXTREMELY repitable, and claims he's got a BONE stock gmc sierra with a 5.3 that does 14.6 in the quarter mile. We've been up and down and debating all around, and I'm beginning to believe him. I don't get it though, as everything else I've read lead me to believe the 5.3 is a 17 second truck, however on more than one occasion I see people claiming 14's. what doesn't make sense, is the same truck but in SS form with the bigger 345 horse 6.0L chevy engine is only doing 15.0 in the quarter, so what gives?

Old 09-29-2007, 02:03 PM
lewpuckett
Professional

horror story ------------ so here it goes.

I bought a new pickup from toyota in 1998. I drove it about 2,500 miles and got hit in the rear and the truck went into a wood fence. Destroyed the truck. wood went clean through the engine block and a fence post took the back glass oveer the tailgate. I walked away but the airbag did not deploy. They (Toyota) sent a rep out to see the truck and I brought up the fact the ir bag did not deploy. I was in college at the time. The rep said that the air bags are based on the sudden deceleration of the vehicle. I said I hit a fence how much quicker do you want me to stop. I swore from then on I would never own another import. Power is one thing but what are you getting in the end. a piece of junk looking foreign made truck that can do decent in a quarter mile but what will it do when you hit a fence?

Old 09-29-2007, 02:16 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My last truck was a GMC (a 92 model w/ barely 100k miles) and I spent years on their msg board. Nobody there runs 14s stock, that's for sure. There are programmers that make useful gains, both off the shelf and custom tunes. Either way, that kind of timeslip would require their biggest engine in their regular cab 2wd with some mods.

I've run only one GM truck so far and I clearly outran him, especially up top.

lewpuckett -

The federal government decides how and when airbags will deploy. It is highly regulated and tested, and isn't up to the individual manufacturer. A wooden fence is not a solid enough object to trigger the bags in most vehicles. It gives when struck, meaning the airbags would have done you no good. A what point should it have deployed - the first board it hit? The first post? The second? What if you went through the fence, the bags deployed, and then you hit a tree? Your protection would have been gone at that point.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:24 PM
lewpuckett
Professional

I agree with you John M but it was 100 feet of wood fence head on. (measured by the local police)not just one or two posts.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 PM
New2Durango
Professional

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...s_pricing.html

According to Truck Trend the '07 Silverado runs 15.8, the '07 Toyota runs a 14.6 and I found an older article where the '06 Ram ran a 15.6

Quick Reply: Hemi Ram Vs 07 Tundra