3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Ram Vs 07 Tundra

Old 09-29-2007, 04:35 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hemi Ram Vs 07 Tundra

Speed and acceleration is the very last thing I consider in a truck. I want to know its going to last. I want to know that the tranny can handle the job I have planned for it, and that I can still start it at 200,000 miles. This is my first dodge guys, I had a 4x4 1985 toyota 4x4 that I sold running at 265,000 miles, some kid flipped it wheelin a week later, BUT, it lasted me forever. If this 06 dakota can do that, Ill buy dodge forever. But I'd never judge a truck by how fast it can run teh quarter mile. LoL, who gives a f*ck? Wanna go fast, buy a sports car am I right?

Old 09-29-2007, 05:12 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well.....i say the dodge wins cause dodge is better lol....but Toyota has come a long way in their truck department, but is still no match for the big 3......

monkeywrench.....i have a 1990 Dodge Ramcharger thats still runnin and is my daily driver and it's at 252,000 right now...whats ur point? lol.....here's my point, if you take care of a vehicle and do the things your suppose to do, it should last for as long as you own it...hell, i drive the crap out of this ramcharger,do the regular maint.and she fires right up every time....gotta love em

Old 09-29-2007, 07:40 PM
jmt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually looked into buying a tundra, but that 38k price tag scared me off. Ive driven one and YES it is stout! Do I honestly feel more power in either? No about the same. To me the quality is the difference, yes this is my 2nd Dodge, first being a first gen. ctd. The Dodges seem to be good vehicles, but even my03 has some quirks, none beingmileage related, Dodge seemsto always have the crappiest wiring systems ive seen as where my 97 f150mademore funny noisesthen I could shake a stick at.What gets meis Toyota seems to stand behind the product. They had a camshaft issue when it first came out...no problem, they fixed it. Would Dodge stand behind anything, oh for instance, rear-end, hemi tick, drive by wire issues..etc..blah blah..NO they wont weve seen that. Whats my point? The company is more quality so you have less issues to complain about and when you do they fix them. Wheres my backing?Ibought my wife aLexusGSlast year w/ 105k on the clock and financed it for 5 years! Am I scared of not having a warranty? Hell no, thats the most quality carive ever driven. I know im going to be bashedfor this post but lets face it folksDCstill isnt where they should be quality wisewhen a ram is 37k and acomparable tundra is 38k....

Old 09-29-2007, 08:16 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Then you buy that Ram with $10k in discounts and incentives and presto - you win by $11k.

I bought my truck only 6 months ago for probably what would be considered "too much" by most people. I don't care. I'm still just as impressed by it now as I was when I got it and it's worth every dime to me to have the exact truck I was looking for - the right colors inside & out, the Laramie package, and basically every possible factory option, all on a 1-owner truck that was clearly well-maintained. It's at 54k miles now and I expect it to be just as nice at 154k miles.

I have a family member who has had quite a few Toyota products. He's on his second Tundra (last style, 4 door, limited, 4x4) and has two Lexus LS430s (bought new) and added a new Lexus LS460 last week. What truck is he considering now? Not the new Tundra -- he likes my Dodge so much he's checking them out instead.

Old 09-29-2007, 08:44 PM
ClemsonSteve

I have owned toyotas, nissans, chevrolets, fords and now I have owned my first Dodge (07 1500 QuadCab Hemi Thunderroad) for around 6 months. I have to agree with John's statement about money. My truck sold for around $23500 which was about $5K cheaper than Ford, $8K cheaper thant chevrolet, and $9K cheaper than a Toyota. Toyota got their quality name on four cylinders with manual transmissions. Once they doubled their moving partsand started adding automatic trannys their problems began. Also toyota trucks lack in technology (rear disc brakes as of 2003? my 02 ford had 2 piston disc brakes). The toyotas we have owned gave us more issues than any other vehicles we have owned. They were auto 6cyl camrys. As far as speed I am a lead foot wild man. The only trucks that have taken me are the 5.7 tundra, 6.0 SS silverado, and one little truck known as a lightening(all costing over $9000 than my dodge). The overall point I would like to make is for the money the 5.7 Tundra needs to be compared to a 2500 Dodge when considering money. A local dealer was going to sell me an 06 2500 4x4 Cummins Diesel with a 6spd for $35k.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:59 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jmt

Would Dodge stand behind anything, oh for instance, rear-end, hemi tick, drive by wire issues..etc..blah blah..NO they wont weve seen that.
drive by wire issues huh???? should elaborate more on this, havent seen nor heard of any at work...hemi tick, it's cool makes everyone know you got a Hemi be happy bout it lol....not gettin into the rear-end thing, i have varied opinions about this..

you want drive by wire issues, then i'll show you a pic of such an issue on the new vettes with the throttle getting stuck open, not stock closed like it's suppose to

[IMG]local://upfiles/20353/F3146E1004F543579E7D82B981068EDA.jpg[/IMG]

that may not be a new corvette cause i cant find the actual picture, but we have a picture like that at work of a new vette where the drive by wire failed but did not fail closed, it went to WOT....he died instantly

Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 PM
jmt

ORIGINAL: hemiyellow

drive by wire issues huh???? should elaborate more on this, havent seen nor heard of any at work...hemi tick, it's cool makes everyone know you got a Hemi be happy bout it lol....not gettin into the rear-end thing, i have varied opinions about this..
Yeah , a little does alot on these throttle bodies to throw a code, within the first week of ownership I had to clean my tb. I dont care to "limp" into a busy intersection. Not my idea of safe unless you want a "vette pic" scenario.

It might be cool to know you have a hemi, but id be just as content with a engine that ran well and did not tick. We all know its a problem but you have no choice but to deal with it. Gm's piston slap issue, wellwe can throw Ford's tritonengines (except they bought theirs back) into this category too,ooh I thinkNissan titans had pistonslap also.

Please do not get it twisted, I love my truck or I would not own one. I am saying I would not pay full price for one b/c I need the money to fix its issues. If I had to pay full price for a truck I do think Toyota thought theirs out well and its a damn nice truck and I would probably own one.

Point being, I think the big 3 need to tighten up their game b/c I do see Toyota coming up fast. Oh and why should I have to count on BIG discounts when they could just state what the price is and not mess with it. Yall took me for gospel when I threw the #'s out.
To be accurate: 2003 when I bought my first ram, it was 37500 w/ 10k back. = 27500
Now this year the tundra we looked at: 34000 w/3K back. = 31000
Not that much difference equipped evenly, these trucks were pretty close to the same. The 37000 ram was accurate but the tundra I was thinking of was the one they had in the showroom , it was loadedminus the limited package.

Nottrying to start a war,just my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hemi Ram Vs 07 Tundra