3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

looking to do a cam and header upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
rappin_trashman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to do a cam and header upgrade...

i would absolutely love to do this upgrade but the problem is...i dont know JACK about cars...the mechanic at work(who works on diesel engines) said he could do it...but he doesnt have a place to do it...cause they cant work on peoples cars at work anymore...so i guess my question to you guys is...how much would this all cost...installed?? i was looking at the 6.1 header and cam upgrade...but i dont know exactly what to get...and last but not least if this is going to cost me a fortune...how much gain would i REALLY see? i have yet to do an intake...flashpaq...and exhaust(goes in thursday for warranty work so maybe upgrade is the way to go if its not covered)...like i said...i dont know jack about cars...my pop said hed do it...but its wayyy to involved for his knowledge and patience....btw....if the gains are going to be similiar to adding say...a supercharger...and the cost would be similiar i would rather do this upgrade...b/c i dont wanna blow the engine apart...read alot of that happened with chargers and magnums...lol

thanks,
Steve

Old 06-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: looking to do a cam and header upgrade...

Do a search about the cam, specifically a postmade by pappy.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Pirata

Do a search about the cam, specifically a postmade by pappy.
Name Dropper!!!!!
LoL

Old 06-27-2007, 10:05 PM
deanj287
Captain

if the gains are going to be similiar to adding say...a supercharger...and the cost would be similiar i would rather do this upgrade
funny joke there.....

the 6.1 cam is a direct bolt in with no mods and no tunning needed. the headers from the 6.1 are NOT. the HEADS are though but the intake will not match up. severl guys will do it for ya. where are you located? easily with parts less than a thousand (i was quoted at 650 with labor for the cam) the heads will cost you alot more money but not nearly the cost of the supercharger and all the supporting mods. Plus the superchrager is alot harder on the trans. what year is your truck? i have several right ups on all you need, to do any cam swap for that matter. also check out hemitruckclub as they have more indepth threads on the cams and what you'll need plus the options, and opinions fromguys that run them.

i did mine myself and honestly its VERY strait forward and more or less just time consuming.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 AM
rappin_trashman
Professional

thanks for all the replies...I'll see what I can do with the searching...85 percent of time I'm on the net...I'm on my PDA have a computer but since I'm on the road 70 hrs a week its hard to get to one...my pda is picky when it comes to webpages LOL...I woul really need to wait until tax time to get this done...as I'd be getting around 2 grand back...the supercharger isn't really an option right now...that's the last thing I want to do...I know mods are an addiction...they don't call it 'forced' induction for nothing....anything 'forced' more theb likely decrease the life of the motor whether deemed safe or not...it just depends ho drastic u want to go...as to how short the engine life will be...but anyway getting back on topic...my truck is an 05 second swarm rumble bee...how much power u think I can get just from the cam upgrade?...I live in delaware...and where you from pappy? when I seen 'name dropper' itmade me think of a sound effect from a philly radio station q102 lol...thanks for the input guys!

Old 06-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

I'm in Florida,

You can get almost 500HP out of the 5.7 with a cam (but maybe a bit to radical for street use).
Cam and Heads prolly exced that 500 mark

I have to give credit to Horseapples for finding this link. He's Da Man!

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng.../0602phr_hemi/

Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 AM
M15
Veteran

Wow those cams give some nice power gains. If any of those cams could pass a smog test I would have one in a heartbeat.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:08 AM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

i'm looking to do a cam sometime in the future. for those of you who did a cam already, how did it affect your mpg? do you also have the 180 stat and superchips? if not, why not?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:23 AM
rappin_trashman
Professional

wow...that article is kick-***!!...couldnt find any posts from pappy through the search even on the computer...so...who wants to cam my hemi in a few months?? lol

Old 06-28-2007, 11:21 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: rappin_trashman

wow...that article is kick-***!!...couldnt find any posts from pappy through the search even on the computer...so...who wants to cam my hemi in a few months?? lol
That just doeasn't sound right!

Quick Reply: looking to do a cam and header upgrade...