3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need expert opinion on exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:42 AM
deanj287
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need expert opinion on exhaust...

y pipe = single in dual out. end of story. true duals is from the headers (collectors) to individual cats then individul pipes on out. it costs a bit more to due this unless you run catless and muffler less (lol). The y pipe has a negative effect on over all power (your butt dyno wont be able to tell a difference) it benefits with higher power levels though. throwing a code wont be an issue as long as there is more than one down stream 02 sensor. i have an 03 so unless i were to delete the rear 02 sensor all together id ahve to have an x pipe or h pipe to avoid the cel. not sure on the newer ones but if there are 2 rear 02 sensoors and you shouldnt have a problem. i know that most delet the cats and the 02 sensors on a TRUE dual set up to begin with soorry to see a fellow dodge bro take ya man.... imho

wats with the "****" remark?

Old 07-01-2007, 02:47 PM
pakaalbite
Professional

Im sorry that was my friend who owns a tundra. I got on the dodge forum at his house and must not have logged out. He is just mad that his tundra can tow a maximum of 7100lbs.haha

Old 07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
spawnx2k

ORIGINAL: deanj287

y pipe = single in dual out. end of story. true duals is from the headers (collectors) to individual cats then individul pipes on out. it costs a bit more to due this unless you run catless and muffler less (lol). The y pipe has a negative effect on over all power (your butt dyno wont be able to tell a difference) it benefits with higher power levels though. throwing a code wont be an issue as long as there is more than one down stream 02 sensor. i have an 03 so unless i were to delete the rear 02 sensor all together id ahve to have an x pipe or h pipe to avoid the cel. not sure on the newer ones but if there are 2 rear 02 sensoors and you shouldnt have a problem. i know that most delet the cats and the 02 sensors on a TRUE dual set up to begin with soorry to see a fellow dodge bro take ya man.... imho

wats with the "****" remark?

Thank you! This is the answer i've been looking for. As far as removing the cats and 02 sensors for a 'true dual' setup, that's a highly illegal dual setup and I wanted to stay legal. Anyway,i'm going to have this Y-pipe fixed and then I can claim a true dual (legal) setup. Maybe not the most 'professional' install by some opinions but it will definatly have an impact over the stock setup (which had a pre-muffler, a muffler, and a resonator. Talk about restriction!).

Old 07-01-2007, 03:19 PM
spawnx2k

Would I be safer having the H-Pipe or X-Pipe instead of doing 2 seperate down pipes? I have a sensor that falls before and after eact hi-flo cat if that helps.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Again to get a True Dual you would haverun a pipeoff each Cat, like Dean said, and that would be legal.

Also this thread should be taking place up top in the Exhaust Sticky.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've noticed that this site does have a bit of reduntant threads as opposed to using the search option.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: pakaalbite

Im sorry that was my friend who owns a tundra. I got on the dodge forum at his house and must not have logged out. He is just mad that his tundra can tow a maximum of 7100lbs.haha
So yer friend has a TuRD?

Old 07-01-2007, 09:06 PM
pakaalbite
Professional

yeah and i make him mad by telling him he has a medium sized truck.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Hellbilly1
Veteran

man those welds are pretty crappy i think anyways

Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 PM
deanj287
Captain

h pipe or x pipe is NOT true duals...what year do you have please...

legal mubo jumbo depends on the statelaws as well... and i ran if by a buddy that has an 04 and he said his 02 sensors were before the ypipe meanin run pipes off of each cat and add the 2 bungs and you should be fine.your years is the kicker for me right now... 03's have 3 02's and 04 on up have 4 i believe.

if your "PRO" (lol tell him to get more jb weld) puts the senors right after the cats (one after each header on the 04 and ups) and there is ONE behnd each cat and one before you'll be legal and fine i do believe.... not trying to be redundent but im **** about accuracy

Quick Reply: Need expert opinion on exhaust...