3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need expert opinion on exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:27 PM
spawnx2k
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need expert opinion on exhaust...

Hello, i'm new to this forum and would like to ask a question about the exhaust work I had done recently. I went to several places before finally finding the right person I felt comfortable with to work on my exhaust. Heis the owner at Car-X and even better is he has a 2001 Ram 1500 andhe stands by Dodge completely. So anyway, we discussed what was going to be done and the final results were 2DynomaxHi-Flo cats running through 2 Glasspack mufflers and straight out the back for a completely true dual exhaust system coming straight from the headers out. Anyway, upon getting the work done, he had explained that he changed part of the piping due to concerns of causing the check engine light to come on. As you can see below, the stock piping is used to the point at which the pre-muffler used to be and then the rest is self explainable.

Anyway, I wanted to know what is the risk of setting off a check engine light if I have him fix it so it rids that crunched up mess just past the sensors? Also, I know you don't want to completely eliminate backpressure so is it perhaps, better, this way?

Old 06-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Default RE: Need expert opinion on exhaust...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.
True Dual exhaust it ain’t.
Is that JB Wield on the Y-Pipe?
I would not be surprised if actually youtook a performance hit with all those uneven/unmatched joints.
The list could go on and on. I hope you didn’t pay too much for it.

You might want to treat that rust on yer rear end.

On a side note, yer driveshaft looks to be in good shape.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 PM
spawnx2k

Well, after doing a little searching online, I could not find a TRUE DUAL setup with mandrel bends and stainless steel like I wanted, so I had to settle for custom work. Though I am no expert on exhaust, the work done (except that one section) I think looks decent for a custom job. Hell, he even put heat plates on both sides ofthe spare tire for protection. I did pay abit but that's because of the dual hi-flo cats I had installed. Anyway, he told me he'd fix it how I wanted but the check engine light may be an issue. So how realistic is his claim?

Old 06-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Can you get us a pic of yer cats. I see more what looks like JB Wield up that way.

What year is yer truck and what motor is in it?

Those mufflers look used and I don't think any of it is SS.
If you don't have a CE light already with that setup your ok for anything.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:12 PM
spawnx2k

It's a 2006 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. As far as the "used" look on the glasspacks, well, they are. I've used them for a week and it's rained several of them days. Just needs to be washed is all .

Old 06-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

I don't mean to come across harsh, but from yer pics, this is not professional work. That whole Y-pipe setup is killin me.

As for High flow cats yours were so new you didn't need em. I hear stock Hemi cats are pretty good anyway.

I don't really know what that is on the wields (maybe JB wield or some other type of exhaust putty) but I'd be pissed if someone put that crap on my exhaust and called it good. Yeah I can see using it in a pinch maybe but not like that.

Or maybe I'm just way off and the pics aren't doing it justice.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:40 AM
spawnx2k

Now you know how I feel. That whole Y-pipe is my only complaint, "I" think everything else looks decent except that. I guess i'm going to just take a chance and have him do that section again ridding that whole "Y" look. I doubt anything is going to happen sensor wise, the sensors fall before that y-pipe thing anyway. Well, thanks for the advice.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:30 AM
pakaalbite
Professional

your a ****

Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 AM
spawnx2k

ORIGINAL: pakaalbite

your a ****

Wellthat was quite unexpected. I came here to get some professional advice and you call me a ****? I read your post count so you are obviously not new to here, so how come you are being an *******?

Old 07-01-2007, 03:41 AM
hemiman123456
Veteran

wow....dont listen to him.....most guys on here are actually pretty helpful......

Quick Reply: Need expert opinion on exhaust...