3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airbag light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
madmat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light coming on

Has anybody had their airbag light come on. Mines been coming on lately, it seems like it does it if it's been sitting in the heat all day and when istart it todrive home from work, it comes on for about 45 secs than off for 15secs than back on for 45secs than off again for the rest of the 1/2 hr drive home.It does it almost every day when it's hot out. My truck was hit by a drunk driver about 7 months ago on the passenger cab side. There was alot of damage but the airbags never went off,i wonder if that has anything to do with it

Old 07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Airbag light coming on

Might be a computer glitch like your other problembut since you mentioned that you had been in an accident it could be a as simple as a shorted wire, in both problems, but it might be something seriously wrong. I would take it to the dealer andhave them run a diagnostics to see where the issue is. Best case scenario nothing happens as a result of ignoring the problem. Worst case the air bag does not deploy in an accident or it deploys without reason while you're doing 70mph down the highway.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:04 PM
madmat

I had booked it in to the dealer but it had stoped coming on so i canceled my appointment hoping it was solved. I'll have to book it in again, I don't feel like getting a air bag in the face while doing 70mph!!!

Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Ahh come on, where is your sense of adventure?
Hehe
You know they pack those things with Itching Powder.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Vandal77
Rookie

Air bag lights....just got out of an 05 Town and Country and had nothing but airbag lights on from 30 days after getting into the thing, then when i'd make an appointment to bring it into the dealer, the thing would turn off, it messed with my head for two years, i covered it with electrical tape! Back and forth to the dealer, they would reset something, adjust something else, change something else, never tell me what they did and obviously had no clue as to what they were doing, never gave me a reciept (didn't charge me) but they wanted to avoid having the incident documented since it was a friggin piece of crapola...transmission gone in 40 days, antifreeze leaks, seatbelt lights going on, I figured it out one night while watching Ghost Hunters...the damnvan was haunted I tell you, possessed...o.k. o.k. seriously, you'd be surprized how many T& C owners I spoke to had the same airbag light come on. I'm hoping that Chrysler glitch aint gonna follow me into my 07 Ram. Get it to the dealer and see if it's something simple. My van...everything I had wrong with it, the recall came out months later. The 05 was the first year for the Stow n Go seat conversion where the seats hide into the floor, they didn't plan well, but 06/07nice vans, but I couldn't get out of it fast enough.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Dude... not good. Get it fixed. I would be seriously worried about the airbag to the face. Airbag sensors are a delicate thing, they compute the amount of force substained during an accident and calculate whether they should go off or not. A lot of auto extrication training in the fire service revolves around safety, a big issue being airbags. Even after we cut the battery cables, capasitors in the airbag circuit could activate as long as 4 hours later in some makes. We are super cautious working in the impact zone of the vehicle (more so with the front end collisions) when there is not an airbag depolyment because we could activate those sensors by simply leaning up against the vehicle. And with those pressure switch seats (measures the weight on the front passanger seat to see if the airbag should deploy or not), those could go off just by us climbing in after the accident trying to get people removed. I would highly suspect that one of those sensors were damaged in the accident, and who know what the real result could be, going off without provication or not at all when you need it.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off topic here but they ought to make an EMS disarment system mandatory on all vehicles equipped with air bags. It would be kind of like the 911 function on all cell phones active or not and I'd imagine an airbag disarmment system would not be too hard to add into a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Airbag light coming on