3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone running more than one tranny cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Brawler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running more than one tranny cooler?

I would like to run another cooler along with the factory one since i will be towing a 6000# set-up with my truck. Would like to see if anyone has done this on their trucks and if they noticed an increase in cooling. Also, i have a sticker on my rear axle that says trac lock. Would this be an LSD? Thanks!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Brawler
Default RE: Anyone running more than one tranny cooler?

Anyone?

Old 07-01-2007, 04:40 PM
go49ers
Professional

I got the towing package on my 2006 and it came with the extra cooler as part of the package along with a heavier battery and some other options. I purchased the LSD when I bought my tuck. Im not sure if that sticker is on mine to be honest. I will check later when I amnear my truck.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 PM
deanj287
Captain

yes that is dodges version of limited slip. and as far as the cooler goes if your really worried i would get a trany temp gauge and keep an eye on it. as for the cooler i cant see it hurting but cant say honestly if it would help.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

usually the hvdty trucks have dual trans coolers 3/4t and up from the factory.

a second cooler will help more than hinder. it wont be cheap either....

Old 07-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

Since I was under the Hood today I took this Pic just for you Brawler.
The one on the Right is the AC
Everything on the Left are Coolers & Radiator
Complete with Bugs

[IMG]local://upfiles/59926/B7419BEA8EFC48ED8BBF78977BCA272F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Brawler

Thanks.I cant see why the extra cooler would be expensive. The coolers on average are only like $30 from auto parts stores. Cant imagine it being brain surgery running two together in sequence. Cut the return line and connet the new cooler in between the factory cooler and the return line. Unless im missing something.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:57 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Pressure... hopefully there would be enough pressure to make the circut work... I have no idea what pressures the coolant system works at now, or what it needs to work, just wanted to make sure you hadn't forgotten something.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 PM
motorhead426
All Star

I would do something a little different than the other guys. The first thing I've already done is install a Deep PML transmission pan. It holds 3 more quarts of fluid. Even on the hottest day (no trailer) the trans. temp never goes above 160 deg.I don't tow that often so I can't say what temp it would get to. The second thing I would do is, instead of running 2 coolers and having to worry about plumbing them, I'd get a larger (like twice the size of the stock one) cooler from summit racing or something. Then take your stock cooler out completely. I think it would help, and be easier than plumbing the lines for 2 separate coolers. Just my $.02

Old 07-02-2007, 06:35 PM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

I would do something a little different than the other guys. The first thing I've already done is install a Deep PML transmission pan. It holds 3 more quarts of fluid. Even on the hottest day (no trailer) the trans. temp never goes above 160 deg.I don't tow that often so I can't say what temp it would get to. The second thing I would do is, instead of running 2 coolers and having to worry about plumbing them, I'd get a larger (like twice the size of the stock one) cooler from summit racing or something. Then take your stock cooler out completely. I think it would help, and be easier than plumbing the lines for 2 separate coolers. Just my $.02
I think you make a couple of salient points. It probably is a lot simpler to remove the old cooler and install a larger one vs. installing an extra cooler (as long as there is sufficient enough space to allow such a change, otherwise a separate cooler may have to be installed in a different location). But I think a deeper sump that holdsa larger quantity of fluid is probably just as good, if not better.It will take longer to heat up the extra fluid and it should stay cooler.

Quick Reply: Anyone running more than one tranny cooler?