3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Adding Remote Start Key Fob Dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:25 AM
ben7667
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Remote Start Key Fob Dilemna

Here's my issue.

Having the fob and key in the same unit is great. Problem is my truck didnt come with the mopar remote starter installed.

I called the dealer and the parts guy told me that even if i pay them the big dollars to install a mopar remote starter, they can't order me the key fob with the lock/unlock/panic/remotestart/key all in one. He says I have to carry another FOB with a single button for the remote start. WTF?

Is that true?

If I'm going to have to carry a second FOB around with me AND pay the rip off mopar price...it seems I might as well buy an aftermarket unit that performs better.

Anyone have any input for me?

Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
theHemiBeast
Professional
Default RE: Adding Remote Start Key Fob Dilemna

I've got remote start, was installed when I bought the truck. It does have a separate fob with a single button to start. At first, I thought the same thing as you, I would've really wanted it all in one fob, but honestly, it doesn't even bother me anymore. I love the convenience factor of having remote start.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I had the veryfirst mopar 2007 ram remote starter and it's a seperate FOB. I would like to have had them in only one FOB but it's still cool. Actually I would like a conventional sized key and a separate FOB for remote starting, locking and unlocking my truck instead of having a gigantic key with all but one installed.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:04 PM
go49ers
Professional

How much did they want to install it?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
itsmejto
Amateur

Talking about ram alarms and remote start.
My 03 ram 5.7 didn't come with an alarm, the dealer told me thay cannot get the parts to make it factory alarm, even though it had remote door locks as standard.
So I called the Dodge help line and was told the same thing, we cannot install a factory alarm unless it was done on the assembly line.
So I bit the bullet and went to Circuit city for a Viper alarm and remote start.
They needed another electronic key for the bypass box thingie for the remote start.
I found one on Ebay used and cut, but as it was not for the locks, I got it for $5.00, damn sight less than Dodge wants for em.
AnyWhoooo, back to the alarm/start install.
Picked it up from Circuit City later the same day.
Went to the parking lot with my new viper remote in hand, hit the cancell alarm, hit the remote start, all worked great.
Opened the door and then .......honk ... honk ....honk .... honk ... honk .... WTF I said, the Viper has it's own siren.
The tech said, "yeah, I noticed that too, the factory alarm works too ?
Go figure that one out ?
Now I have two alarms. I mentioened it to the dodge dealer and got no real replies except they said , yep, that's the factory alarm, even the red led on the dash was blinking to tell you it was armed.
So Dodge lied to me, seems all the parts are there already, just needs to be enabled somehow. the Circuit City guy didn't know how he did it though.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got it as an option when I bought my truck last October so I did not really pay attention to the price. They told me that they remote starters did no exsist for the 2007's and the 2006 and earlier models was not compatable with the 2007 computer.

Quick Reply: Adding Remote Start Key Fob Dilemna