3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'06 Engine Tick

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
HemiloverinFL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Engine Tick

First post!

Can anyone share some comforting thoughts?
I recently purchased an '06, 5.7ltr, quad cab. When I bought it I didnt seem to hear the tick I hear now. I've done a good bit of reading and have heard a little about the "Hemi Tick". Wednesday I changed my oil, again, after doing some reading I tried Mobile1 Fully Synthetic oil 5w-20. Looked like you guys were pro Mobile1, it seems the tick has gotten a little worse. Prior owner did put dual exhaust on the truck and its seems to run very good. I've been averaging about 15 mpg and dont seem to be burning or loosing oil etc. Horse Power seems to be very good.

Am I overly paranoid over myrecent investment?

Thanks for you thoughts...

Old 07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
marv02
Captain
Default RE: '06 Engine Tick

Are you hearing the valve train you rather hear them than smell them.

Or sometimes it could be the injectors thats normal you just hearing them spraying fuel.

Take it back to the dealer you have the warentty if you do bring it back sometimes you have to be a A???H??? to get them to fix it right so stay on top of them don't let them give you the dog and pony show call the main office if you have to and or get of hold of the BAR, that will light a fire under them been there done that.

I had problems my self with Chrysler warentty my self trying to get out of doing a repair they said the truck was modified that voided the warentty BEWARE I lucked out I purchased the truck Used thoughDodge dealerthat way They had to fix it then that voided the rest of my warentty after they were forced to fix it.

I had a Ford F250 4X4 with Oversize tires and Lift kit aftermarket Muffler, it Blew out a spark plug they had to replace the head they try to claim the lift kit , muffler and oversize tires cause it to blow the plug out of the head ya right it cost them $5000.00 after it was all said and done.

I trade the Ford in for a 06 Q-Cab 4X2 The Ford was a time bomb waiting to happen with blowing out plugs and other know common problems high cost repairs leave you on the side of the road with no more warentty so it as time to get rid of it.

My new 06 hasthe 3.7 init I am getting a cold start knock It's going to the shop next week I also have not read if this is normal for this type of motor my last truck Cold stat knock was the norm for that type of motor it had short skirt pistons in it I dont think it right but thats how that motoris, thay say less friction better power and better MPG but if you have a new truck or evenone it 2 or 3 years old It should not knock.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 PM
LoFlyer
Professional

You should get your truck to run the way you want it. Realize that if you really try to get it fixed you're going to have to leave it in the shop for days/weeks and still may see no improvement. Dodge won't acknowledge it so you can't call the service dept and ask them to fix the "hemi tick". There was a post here a few months ago that claimed to have solved the tick with a valve spring replacement. I have never heard of the tick being anything other than an annoyance, there's been no damage or poor performance as a result.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:47 PM
morganmkelly
Professional

I an '05 and my "tick" became noticeable after I took off the stock air box andreplaced it witha K & N CAI. I've had 2 mechanics look at it and they both saythe soundis normal.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 PM
livetokite
Veteran

i think i have the hemi tick..... and my truck runs perfect, and it's had it for a while.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:11 PM
motorider228
Champion

Yeah welcome to the world of the hemi tick.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:43 PM
dlpreston
Rookie

Yea, I read up on the 07 Hemi prior to purchase and read about the tick. It was barely noticeable with the stock air cleaner, but since the K&N CAI went on, it is much more noticeable. This coming from an 07 with less than 3k on it.

It is normal.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:52 PM
deanj287
Captain

This just in. I finally got sick of all the talk and speculation about the hemi tick. i got it on my truck and i have worked on a dozen of these at the dealership. I called the STAR engineers at chrysler. they have come up with an answer. On many of the hemi engines the ticking noise is none other than the exhaust valves. according to chrysler engineers the tick is caused by excessive valve stem to valve guide clearence. MOPAR has now revised the exhaust valves with fatter (29 microns) stems. the part number for the valves is : 53021551AB

according to chrysler the valves should be isolated and replaced as necessary. I am going to replaced the exhaust valves in my bee next week. i'll let you know if it works

Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Wishbone
Record Breaker

Does this tick sound like the GM piston slap trucks?

Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 PM
deanj287
Captain

it sounds alot likew lifter tick,, and some have claimed it is the lifter tick as well

Quick Reply: '06 Engine Tick