3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new front performance disc brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 03:04 PM
cardude
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new front performance disc brake rotors

315/70-r17 that corosponds to a 34,6 inch tire.

and you are proberly right thats the reason, i actually did not think of that.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:56 PM
nuckingfuts22
Professional

Thats it right there. With that wide foot print and the size of those tires you gave your brake system on HE** of a work out! With that size tire I would do the slotted roters but not drilled. The slots will help with the heat build up and also help on the fade issue, trust me you have a fade issue you may just have not noticed it. Your brakes will work 10X better. Also make sure you change your pads, if you can get away with it go with bigger roters because the bigger they are the more heat they get rid of and the more surface area you have to stop with, but you will have to get bigger rims. Good luck though.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:30 AM
JRH_PowerWagon_06
Veteran

ORIGINAL: cardude

...i actually found one site were they said that drilled rotors was better at keeping cracks from going all the way out to the edge, something with stress relieving, i don't know, but i was actually also more interested in the slotted version.
I don't think drilled rotors are used in autoracing anymore due to the increased risk of cracking. They are fine for most street usage.
I don't think "120mph stops" qualifiesas normal street use... :-D

Iupgraded toBrembo slotted rotors on all four corners of my Mustang, and added cooling ducts to the fronts. Works great.
The slots "bite" the pad surface, keeping them from glazing. They don't offer any real "cooling" as some people think, butsomething about preventing gaseous boundry layer from building up between pad and rotor during extreme use, hence the sometimes used name- Gas-slotted...

Old 07-10-2007, 07:09 PM
TxMoonshine

Take alook into baer (?) brake systems. They are another good brand. Not sure of price comp. though.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
masonman85
Rookie

Actually slotted or drilled rotters have one purpose and its to release the gases that from between the pad and rotor surface. Also take into account that pad wear increases when u moved to drilled or slotted i dont know how much but i know it happens for sure. I know they still use cross drilled rotors in F1 but cross drilled is a little much for a Truck. theres some pretty nice slotted rotors u can get from just about neone. I'd try going to ur local speed shop and talking to them about your options

oops i just noticed someone has already said this....oh well sorry about that

Old 07-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

I would suggest Porterfield in Costa Mesa, CA. I used to live right down the street from them (until I moved to MD), and they do a lot of their own manufacturing. They buy high quality rotors, and they can cross drill them and/or do the cryogenic cooling thing to relieve the internal stresses on the steel. Their website isn't so great, so I would suggest calling them. They know more about brakes than probably anybody.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
cardude
Amateur

just as an update, i have mounted the brembo rotors now and it brakes just as before, great, as it has always done, so now its just waiting to See if they hold up, but i actually found out something else:

i went by a dealer here in Denmark, and he told me that it was not unusual that the front rotors to start cracking after 30k miles, if you were driving with large trailers, in Denmark that means 3500 kg on the hitch, ball mounted and maybe a little bit more, but 3500 kg is the max allowed without it being registered as a commercial truck (3500 kg is 7700 pounds)

but the trailer has brakes, they work by that the font of the trailer has a compressible part that is connected to the brakes witch means that when the trailer run into the hitch (when the car brakes) the trailer brakes, but it doesn't take all the pressure off, and i am allowed to have a gross weight of the ram at 3500 kg also so that's 15000 pounds were around 55-70 percent is braking on the front wheels, (bound to go wrong)

and with my larger tires i put a bit more load on the brakes also so there is not much to say to the fact that they cracked.

if i was to register it as a commercial truck it would be allowed to weigh more that 3500 kg gross vehicle weight but i the truck would have to be speed restricted so that it could not go above 90km/h or around 56 miles/hour but then i would also be allowed 5'th wheel trailers of larger than 3500 kg. but that 90km/h limitation is not something that i want, and it is whether or not you have a trailer on or not.

happy towing.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I think I better check mine. I have 317-70-17's as well with a 05 2500 ctd. I have done stops from about 110-115 myself. I will inspect next weekend. let me know what you decide to go with.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:02 PM
cardude
Amateur

uhm i think you need to read the thread again i decided on brembo rotors.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: cardude

uhm i think you need to read the thread again i decided on brembo rotors.
I did not read the whole thing. just skimmed through it.

Quick Reply: new front performance disc brake rotors