3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 PM
mchiodo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Knock

[>:]I have seen many questions regarding the ticking or knocking noise coming from the hemi engine. I hear the ticking and that’s just fine, normal, buti have a knocking noise coming from the right side. The truck only has 4k mile and already having problems.

Here's the situation: I changed the oil at 3k miles with Mobil 1 synth and a Fram filter. I accidentally picked up 5w-30 and this is when the knocking started. I then found this forum and immediately changed the oil to 5w-20 but not the filter. I continued drive it thinking the oil need to work its way out of the lifters but it continued even after 500 miles. This is when I called the dealership and after a day without the truck they changed the oil filter and supposable the problem when away.

I need to pickup the truck tonight so I’ll let you know.

Question:Could changing the oil to 5w-20 andnot the filter still cause the knock? Could the old filter be clogged with the thicker oil and should I have changed both filter and oil?

The dealer said the OEM replacement filter should be the only filter I use because it will flow more oil then the others????

2007 Ram 1500, Hemi

Thanks in advanced.
Mike

Old 07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
pakaalbite
Professional
Default RE: Engine Knock

possibly too low of fuel octane????? just a stabb at the answer

Old 07-16-2007, 09:50 PM
mchiodo

The knock was only coming from the right side of the engine and i forgot to put the octan value in my previous message, 98 oct.

Got the truck back from the dealer and the knock is no longer there. They changed the oil filter. ????

Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 AM
pakaalbite
Professional

i dont know what that has anything to do with it but if it quit then thats good

Old 07-18-2007, 07:28 AM
mchiodo

I thought i was strange as well. But guess what, the truck is back in the shop with the same noise, it's back. This time i took the service mgr for a ride.Lets see what kind of creative ideas they come up with this time.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:26 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard some bad things coming from the Fram filters and since it was changed, this would have stopped any problems that that would have caused. As far as the octane of gas, did you accidentally put 98 or is it supposed to be 89? If you have a programmer with the performance tune and running 89 this will cause a knock. Just a shot in the dark because I don't know what you have.

Please let us know what you find....

Old 07-18-2007, 09:37 AM
mchiodo

Sorry transposed the numbers- 89 Oct.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Zack1978
Professional

I am not sure, but I can't believe that 5w30 would cause any damage?

Zack

Old 07-18-2007, 04:16 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

First thing that comes to mind, is that the dealer can't make you use their filter, or void a warranty if you don't, as long as the filter you used meets the same minimal OEM requirements. This goes for air, oil, fuel or any maintainance parts that are used like brakes, tires or spark plugs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

Despite it being written back in the 80s, K&N helped get it recognized and made MFGers aware that it was BS to void warranties for that very reason...

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

If the owners manual doesn't say that use of any other filter other then MOPAR filters for your vehicle are necessary, or damage occurs, then they screwed up.

However, Fram filters suck IMHO, as they're cheapo cardboard insides that are glued and have been linked to many engine failures. I haven't personally had an issue with them, but have seen 2. (Glue unlodged and scored bearings and blocked oil passages)

Using the wrong oil is another thing......... However, I have to agree that using 5w-30 (a slightly heavier oil then required) instead of 5w-20, isn't going to change a thing. If you read your owner's manual, you'll also see that 5w-20 is the recommended oil, unless you drive the truck in severe conditions, and then a heavier oil is required anyway.

The use of Synthetic oil is no more slipperier then conventional Dino oil, but it is thinner in cooler weather then Dino oil, and resists thickening, helping to reduce wear on cold starts. Can't see that as an issue as well.

There was a post I read where another member had the same, right sided knock going on and the dealer replaced rockers, head and yadda, yadda, yadda. Not sure how it panned out.

Something's goofy, as a "Knock" from a rod bearing or main bearing is usually heard from more then one side, rather in a central location or near the bottom or front. My 2 cents.

Either way, best of luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Zack1978

I am not sure, but I can't believe that 5w30 would cause any damage?

Zack
ditto

try higher octane fuel

Quick Reply: Engine Knock