3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noob's 1st post - Towing ? w/Hemi Megacab

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 10:59 PM
dkfire12
Amateur
Default RE: Noob's 1st post - Towing ? w/Hemi Megacab UPDATE

Have any idea what type of milage you where getting? I just towed My 32ft trailer to Mass. from NJ and got around 8 mpg. The truck is a mega cab 2500 with the higher gear ratio and it seemed to fine.

Old 07-19-2007 | 11:28 PM
Mean Max

ORIGINAL: dkfire12

Have any idea what type of milage you where getting? I just towed My 32ft trailer to Mass. from NJ and got around 8 mpg. The truck is a mega cab 2500 with the higher gear ratio and it seemed to fine.
If the overhead console MPG display is to be believed, I got between 8.8 & 9.3 MPG with an average highway speed of 68-72 MPH. I did not calculate it manually, but I have no reason to doubt that it did get about that mileage.

Old 07-21-2007 | 11:14 PM
psanfioren

ok, i know i am way overloaded on my set up, but i am not experianceing any shift problems or any problems at allon my set up, i have a 06 1500 quad cab, 5.7 hemi, short bed, i also have a 5th wheel setup with airbags, and a superchips programer, i am pulling a 38 foot prowler that is at 11000lbs loaded, it pulls fine. no shifting problems and 12 mpg if there aren't to many hills and i keep it at 65. i have pulled my 5th wheel all over texas.

Old 07-21-2007 | 11:29 PM
Mean Max

ORIGINAL: psanfioren

ok, i know i am way overloaded on my set up, but i am not experianceing any shift problems or any problems at allon my set up, i have a 06 1500 quad cab, 5.7 hemi, short bed, i also have a 5th wheel setup with airbags, and a superchips programer, i am pulling a 38 foot prowler that is at 11000lbs loaded, it pulls fine. no shifting problems and 12 mpg if there aren't to many hills and i keep it at 65. i have pulled my 5th wheel all over texas.
WOW! That sounds too good to be true, but I am not doubting your statement. Maybe the Superchips is making those improvements? Did you use it for towing your TT before the tuner was installed? Also, did you make any tranny adjustments with the tuner? If I could just solve the tranny issue, the price of the tuner would be a bargain, and the extra 4 MPG would be icing on the cake!

Old 07-22-2007 | 01:59 AM
FL Cracker
Rookie

ORIGINAL: psanfioren

I would love to know a little more about your setup. i.e. type of tranny, axle ratio and custom settings with the Superchips programmer. If I could even come close to those kinda numbers with mine I would be happy. I have a three horse gooseneck trailer that I pull occasionally and would be very interested in setting mine up the same way.

Old 07-22-2007 | 11:30 PM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

i have the same issue with the constant shifting. i pulled a 3000 lb trailer about 800 miles eac way. i was traveling at arount 70-80 the whole time. i gave up on the cruis control. the tow haul helped a bit but not much. it was pretty hilly and some steep grades through the area i traveled but even still the shifting seemed excessive.

Old 07-24-2007 | 04:08 PM
jeepking1

I have a bone stock'06 Mega Cab 1500 Hemi w/ 14k miles on it, and I just got back from a weekend of atv riding. This was my first time towing with this truck. I used the tow/haul mode the whole trip and once out of the Ozark hills, I used cruise control up on the highway. I was towing a 14' tandem with two atv's probably weighing in around 2200 lbs between the atv's and trailer. Up on the main highway I averaged around 12.8 mpg according to the onboard trip computer. I have checked the mileage several times against the computer and it is always within a couple of tenths on accuracy. I've got the 3:73 gears in mine. I too noticed when pulling a grade, it would lug down to around 1600-1700 rpm before downshifting, then maintaining between 3-4000 rpm the remainder of the climb, however, it behaves about the same without the trailer behind it. Knock on wood, I didn't have any problems with excessive shifting.

Old 09-06-2012 | 04:22 AM
sandiegosycho
Default U need UPGRADES!!

Hey bro u need upgrades on ur tranny & engine!. I too have a mega cab 5.7 06 4X4 ,which i have blown tranny twice. I really recommand u get a shift kit on ur trans & air intake. The shift kit really helps to tow i am currently towing a fifth wheel 9600lbs loaded & it does ok i get down to 45mph on big hills but hey im in no rush i have no death wish u know! Get the shift kit u'll see the defrence it kicks like a Donkey when ur not towing but that's normal....GOOD LUCK BRO!..I am planning a 2000k trip im getting my tranny fixed rite now so i'll post something if i have any news ok!

Old 09-06-2012 | 04:32 AM
sandiegosycho
Default wtf???

@ FL CRACKER
How the hell can u tow 11000lbs on a 1500 quad cab??? i wouyld believe it if u had a 1500 mega cab,BUT A QUAD CAB ....a mega cab has a HD suspension while the qc don't so explain how the hell u load that weenie up? 11000lbs u'll snap ur axsle dude what do u got 5 or 6 lugs? i got 8 lu7gs on my mega cab 4X4. u have a death wish bro!!!!

Old 09-06-2012 | 01:27 PM
Izero
Champion

well you stated that you were in cruise control, I am pretty sure it says what to expect when towing or up a steep incline in the owners manual.

Page 147 in mine says:

Code:
To Accelerate For Passing
Depress the accelerator as you would normally. When the
pedal is released, the vehicle will return to the set speed.
NOTE: When driving uphill, at elevations above 2,000 ft
(610 m), or when the vehicle is heavily loaded (especially
when towing) the vehicle may slow below the SET speed.
If the vehicle speed drops below 25 mph (40 km/h), the
speed control will automatically disengage. If this happens,
you can push down on the accelerator pedal to
maintain the desired speed.
Vehicles equipped with a 5–speed-manual transmission
should be operated in 4th gear or lower under the above
conditions.
Vehicles equipped with a Automatic transmission may
exhibit several downshifts under the above conditions.
To reduce the frequency of the downshifts and to improve
vehicle performance, it is advisable to use either
TOW HAUL or O/D OFF modes, which can be selected
by pressing the TOW HAUL O/D OFF button located at
the end of the gear shift lever.
and then on page 399:

Code:
Towing Tips — Tow/Haul (If Equipped)
To reduce potential for automatic transmission overheating,
turn the “TOW HAUL OD/OFF” feature ON when
driving in hilly areas or shift the transmission to Drive
position 2 on more severe grades.
Towing Tips — Electronic Speed Control (If
Equipped)
− Don’t use in hilly terrain or with heavy loads.
− When using the speed control, if you experience speed
drops greater than 10 mph (16 km/h), disengage until
you can get back to cruising speed.
− Use speed control in flat terrain and with light loads to
maximize fuel efficiency.
So its not a good idea to use the cruise control while towing a heavy load... I would consider a 5000# load to be "heavy" for a Ram1500 w/ 5.7L Hemi...

Quick Reply: Noob's 1st post - Towing ? w/Hemi Megacab