3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck specific MPG/ Hemi v. CTD again - I'm totally confused

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Zack1978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck specific MPG/ Hemi v. CTD again - I'm totally confused

HI everyone,
I realize there is the post that deals with MPG's but I would like some truck specific details.
I will be purchasing a new Ram shortly, and I want a 2500 quad cab 4x4 long bed. The debate is the CTD or Hemi, and yes price is a factor. As far as my needs go, I would estimate that the truck would be empty 95% of the time. As far as towing goes it would be taking my snowmobiles to upstate NY (1 sled in the bed, hence the need for a long bedand 1 sled on my single place trailer). That trip would be done a few times a year (2-3 at the most). In the future I would like to look into getting a small (19-22ft) bowrider, so that would be towed as well.
So then in normal everyday driving with the truck empty what kind of MPG's can I expect with the above noted truck? I plan on keeping the truck until is rusts away, so resale is not that important. So what kind of feedback/help can you offer me with the debate? At this point I think it would be a BIG reach to pay for the CTD, could/would the Hemi work?

Thanks,
Zack

PS: Based upon my needs I realize that I don't need a truck this size, but I want one!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM
Wishbone
Record Breaker
Default RE: Truck specific MPG/ Hemi v. CTD again - I'm totally confused

The Hemi would most definititly work for what you want to use it for. They get real close to the same mpg in the real world but the Ctd is much more powerful. It has a much higher cost too but diesel prices are down compared to gas right now. Drive both and see which you like. Upstate NY gets pretty cold so the gasser will be better in that regard.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:30 AM
Zack1978
Professional

ORIGINAL: Wishbone

The Hemi would most definititly work for what you want to use it for. They get real close to the same mpg in the real world but the Ctd is much more powerful. It has a much higher cost too but diesel prices are down compared to gas right now. Drive both and see which you like. Upstate NY gets pretty cold so the gasser will be better in that regard.
True, about 3 years ago on Valentines Day I was in Stillwater, NY and the temp dropped to -35F, I wonder what a diesel would have been like in that situation? My Pathfinder started like it was 80 outside.

Zack

Old 07-20-2007, 08:47 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own a 06 2500 reg cab 4x4 2500, with the hemi and 6sp, I have all the power, more than most people will need with a gas powerd engine, and I can pull over 20 mpg high way. If price is a facter, the hemi will meet your expectations, but performnace and towing will not come close to a CTD, the extra cab and long box add whieght, with new 6.9 adding over 7 grand to the base price on a 2500, your not going to come close to breaking even, and the more you spend, the greater the rate of depreaction.

Gas mileage is not going to be good with the 5.7 long box quad cab empty but for medium use it will fit the bill.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:54 PM
hemiman123456
Veteran

the ctd will get 1-2, maybe even 3-4mpg better.......although it does cost more you have to remember that the ctd will last alot longer also.....

Old 07-20-2007, 08:55 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

I think the Hemi would do you just fine. Altough if you drive over 25k a year I would look ito the CTD

Old 07-20-2007, 10:09 PM
casper3380
Veteran

Well, the ctd will last longer and tow more. That said, with your application i would go with the hemi. It will definately do what you are asking and more. With the price difference you could add things like Cai, exhaust, etc and still stay cheaper. Either way you wont go wrong.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

I hardly ever tow anything but am on the road about 6,000 miles a month. I get on average 22mpg highway and havnt had any problems. If you want to keep it till it rust apart, get the cummins. You may just become a member of the million mile club.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:32 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I would say get the ctd, if you are gonna keep it till it dies, that will be a ever lasting truck. with gas prices and mileage being a factor you can get a programmer and get outstanding mileage from a ctd. I had a hemi and it was a great truck, but to pull anything up hill you will notice the power loss (not much) but fuel consumption will be a hit, on the other hand you are in a cold climate where gas might prevail. I have a block warmer on my ctd Living in Phoenix Az I have never used it but it is there. Both good trucks but I would go with ctd, and get the 5.9 if you can get one still in your area. Less emmisions to deal with.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:31 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Buy the CTD... just do it because you know you want to. If you can afford it, buy it. I wish I had the money at the time for the CTD. And I really don't need it, just know I want it. And factor another $3000 off the bat, because you will be itching to get in touch with Bank Performance

Quick Reply: Truck specific MPG/ Hemi v. CTD again - I'm totally confused