3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Remote Start Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:22 AM
BLACKTRX4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mopar Remote Start Install

Has anyone done a self install of the mopar remote start kit on an 06 1500 ram? I am getting the module, install kit and the kit for the sentry key and thinking about trying the install myself. Has anyone done and and were there any problems or setbacks on the install? Is it doable?

Old 07-31-2007, 05:59 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mopar Remote Start Install

I had mine installed at the dealer. Make sure the one they send is compatable with a 2006 and earlier. The computer from the 2007 is completely different from previous models and will not communicate with older models equipment. My remote starter was installed at the dealer, however it was the mopar aftermarket remote starter. The dealership mentioned needing to calibrate the remote starter with all FOBs (both the ones on the key itself and the new one from the remote starter) present so they can all communicate together for it to work properly.

On another note, kind of, it's great in the winter time not having to go outside and freeze your butt off to start your truck to warm it up.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Pirata

I had mine installed at the dealer. Make sure the one they send is compatable with a 2006 and earlier. The computer from the 2007 is completely different from previous models and will not communicate with older models equipment. My remote starter was installed at the dealer, however it was the mopar aftermarket remote starter. The dealership mentioned needing to calibrate the remote starter with all FOBs (both the ones on the key itself and the new one from the remote starter) present so they can all communicate together for it to work properly.

On another note, kind of, it's great in the winter time not having to go outside and freeze your butt off to start your truck to warm it up.
Anything below 72 degs is considerd winter here.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 AM
BLACKTRX4
Rookie

Thanks Pirata, That's why I'm getting it, to start it from the house on the freezing mornings and have it warmed by the time I get in it. Figured I'd get the kits and get it done way before those mornings come around.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 AM
eltupac
All Star

I gots an aftermarket one and its great. Like cpt stabbing said in FL we only haves abouts 2 weeks of winter. I do its for the heat. I leave the A/C on cold full blast so when I turns it on before I leaves work, in 5 minutes walk to the car, its nice insides.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Zack1978
Professional

Is it bad to leave the AC on when the truck is started? I mean is it too much of an elec draw at start up? My mom has a rem st in her 06 Toyota Highlander, and she leaves the heat or ac on and has had no issues, but I wonder?

Zack

Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 AM
eltupac
All Star

I think that was on old cars or cars with a small alternator/battery. I think trucks are pretty safe. I ask one of the dealer reps that question and he said its a ram, it can handle it. But they'll say anything to sell.I have been known to be wrong from time to time.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:43 PM
scoose

So has anyone done this install themselves??

I am going to order the whole thing myself and plan on installing it. What am I up againt???

Old 09-05-2007, 09:53 AM
motorhead426
All Star

Do they make a kit for a 2005 that will turn my heated seats on when the engine starts? The 2005 heated seats shut off when the engine does, and will not turn on, until you press the heater button again. This is the only reason I have not bought a remote kit yet.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:31 PM
kregier
Veteran

ORIGINAL: scoose

So has anyone done this install themselves??

I am going to order the whole thing myself and plan on installing it. What am I up againt???
I've only done it with older vehicles and aftermarket remote start/lock units and it's not too bad. I'd budget 2 hours for it if it's your first time. Just make sure you have a really good wiring diagram and installation instructions. The biggest pain is getting access to and finding the wires. And disconnect the battery as well. Always a good idea when installing new electronics.

Quick Reply: Mopar Remote Start Install