3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Very pleased

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
motorider228
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very pleased

Well I did an oil change today and I went to amsoil 5w20 full synthetics and a wix filter. I was always very skeptical when people said certain oils were better for performance but I believe them now. Everytime my truck shifted under wot into 2nd before it made this weird noise, now there is no noise and I get second gear scratches when shifting at WOT. Only other times I have ever gotten second gear scratches were with superchips and Now I get it and have no superchips. I had valvoline full synthetics in it before the amsoil as well so it wasn't just normal oil.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I am very pleased with amsoil and if any of you aren't positive on which oil to run I would highly suggest this product.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Mojave
Professional
Default RE: Very pleased

What oil and filter did you use before?

Old 08-04-2007, 10:40 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Nice, have you tried royal purple? I would like to know the camparison.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:06 PM
casper3380
Veteran

Ive used mobil one synthetic in the past. I notice an immediate improvement in the truck when i went to it. Unless something better comes along, i will go with it. Yeah, royal purple info would be good. Ive heard its really good, but want to know a hands on.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 PM
motorider228
Champion

Mojave, my truck is only 13,000 miles old so I have only had 4 prior oil changes. The first 3 were free from the dealer so I had a mopar filter and whatever oil they used, then I did the last one and I used valvoline synthetic 5w20 and a K&N gold filter.

Jimmy, Among the high horse power and fast trucks I have heard that amsoil and royal purple are the best fluids. I was going to go with royal purple but I started making mental notes of what the majority of the fast hemis ran on the other websites with all the sub 14 second trucks and I would say 75% of them used amsoil synthetics. Basically the rest used royal purple.

I also read alot about oil filters before making this purchase and I think I am going to stick with the wix for now on. I was thinking about maybe trying the royal purple next time but after feeling how solid everything is running now with the amsoil I think this is my oil of choice from here on out.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:55 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: motorider228

Mojave, my truck is only 13,000 miles old so I have only had 4 prior oil changes. The first 3 were free from the dealer so I had a mopar filter and whatever oil they used, then I did the last one and I used valvoline synthetic 5w20 and a K&N gold filter.
make damn sure u keep your receipts and write the mileage and date on every receipt when you change the oil yourself....chrysler is really tightening up about engine warranty repairs so just make sure you have plenty of proof that you changed the oil every 3K......

but yeah the WIX filters are great, i've been using them for quite awhile on everything i own and i've always been a mobil 1 fan and doubt it's ever gonna change

Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I use napa gold filters (wix made) and my last oil change used mobile del oil first diesel oil change. Rotella has a synthetic that is real reasonably priced, but I am leaning towards Royal purple and amsoil, I like the readily availability or royal purple. However either way it will be expensive as my truck holds 12 quarts of oil . That is the price I pay, In my Hemi I always used mobile-1 simply because it was available at Walmart and got good reviews.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:33 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

amsoil makes a great product, ever give a thought to using their oil filter too?

Old 08-05-2007, 02:33 AM
motorider228
Champion

Yeah I gave it a thought but amsoil actually sells wix filters from their own website. The filter was $7.95 (much cheaper than my $12 K&N gold) and the oil was $6 a quart. I paid $61 for 7 quarts, 1 oil filter, tax and shipping. Not bad in my opinion.

What oil and filtersdo you run Hanson?

Jimmy, if you are leaning towards amsoil you will not be disappointed, I know royal purple makes a great product as well though.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:13 AM
grassman2852

I had a 97 blazer that I was running amsoil and it made the truck run cooler about 5 to 10 degrees. I have a guy at work that is a dealer and that helps out on price. I just bought my 02 ram qc last week and when I need to make my first oil change I am going to switch back. I loved it it was great.

Quick Reply: Very pleased