3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shudder in rearend

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shudder in rearend

This may have been addressed a dozen times already. I may be about to pull the trigger on an '03 QC with a HEMI. It has LSD. I've noticed when I goose it from a start on pavement and have the wheel cocked for a turn, I hear a groan and it feels like the rearend shudders. May be normal. If so, that's fine, but if it's a sign of something bad around the corner (so to say), I'd like to know. I've not had a LSD truck since a Chevy back in the eighties. It didn't do that. A quick answer would be very appreciated. I have to give the dealer an answer by tomorrow afternoon.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:39 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Shudder in rearend

The rear will jump a little if you hit it and turn. It is not one wheel peel, both wheels want to move at the same speed with a LSD, and when you turn one wheel travels less distance than the other, hiting the gas hard during this is the shutter you are feeling.

It will feel worse on a road that is "sticky" vs a street surface that is a little more slippery.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:54 PM
nastyram
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if never serviced try that with some lsd addative,had same problem an that fix it

Old 08-07-2007, 02:00 AM
ttuguy1983
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be a bad u-joint also.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

The rear will jump a little if you hit it and turn. It is not one wheel peel, both wheels want to move at the same speed with a LSD, and when you turn one wheel travels less distance than the other, hiting the gas hard during this is the shutter you are feeling.

It will feel worse on a road that is "sticky" vs a street surface that is a little more slippery.
Ditto

Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Dieselphil

Service the rear end and don't forget the additive. Had the rear end on my 97 done at one of those quick oil change places and they didn't. Mine did the same as yours until I re-serviced and included the additive.

Oh yea the problem can be real intresting on wet roads.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Dieselphil

Service the rear end and don't forget the additive. Had the rear end on my 97 done at one of those quick oil change places and they didn't. Mine did the same as yours until I re-serviced and included the additive.

he has a 03 whitch is the gear type lsd no additive needed your 97is the clutch type that needed the additive.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:23 PM
abarmby
Champion

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus

he has a 03 whitch is the gear type lsd no additive needed your 97is the clutch type that needed the additive.

Captain Squalus
Sorry........but I have an 03 Quad cab Hemi and they DEFINATELY have a clutch pack type LSD, that definately needs the additive.
The 03 manual says "Trac Lok additive 118ml's or 4 oz limited slip additive."
This type of LSD, the 9.25" corporate axel, has the famous C clip problems.
It should be called the retainer problem, as it'sthe retaining clips that fall out of the LSD clutch packs and not the axel retaining C clips that people are more familiar with.But, it's commonly called the C clip problem.
Do a search on the C clip issue and you will find a whole wealth of info on this very bad problem that DC has still to address.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: abarmby

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus

Sorry........but I have an 03 Quad cab Hemi and they DEFINATELY have a clutch pack type LSD, that definately needs the additive.
The 03 manual also states the same.
This type of LSD, the 9.25" corporate axel, has the famous C clip problems.
It should be called the retainer problem, as the retaining clips fall out of the LSD clutch packs, but it's commonly called the C clip problem.
Do a search on the C clip issue and you will find a whole wealth of info on this very bad problem that DC has still to address.
Al.
My wrong I missed the 1500 part I was thinking the 11.5 rear of the 2500

Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM
abarmby
Champion

Sorry to contadict you Captain Squalus.
I often read too far ahead of myself as well. It must be because we know too much ha ha ha.
Al.

Quick Reply: Shudder in rearend