3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stock radio.....amp install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 PM
vsraptor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock radio.....amp install?

what is the best way to get the signal from a factory dash unit thru an amp to a set of subs?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: stock radio.....amp install?

Well for one I don't recommend using the stock radio for an amp. aftermarket headunits give much better sound. buta stock radio will do the job just fine. the best way would be to use the "High Level" inputs on the amp. basically run a split in the speaker wires for the rear or front. and you take the four wires and you plug those leads into the corresponding plugs on the amp. I suggest rear because runnin the wire would probably be easier. the amp should have a left +- and right +- for the high level inputs. at least my JL one does but i have aftermarket h/u so I use the RCA jacks or "low level" inputs. I've never done it with high level so I might be wrong but i'm about 99% sure that's how you do it. If you tell me what amp I can look up pics of it online and see if it's set up sorta the same as my JL then i'd be 100% on it.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:49 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I just got done doing that to my truck...I'll attach some pics of where I spliced on. It does the job, but like Ben said, an aftermarket head unit will sound much better. I have the high level inputs on my amp, so I tapped in right behind the head unit and ran them to the amp.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17592/132B788AAF78496CB017E25A08689522.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17592/F1051B143663484D8E03AD6FA5634124.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Ben D.
Champion

Coolio I thought that was how it's done. never thought of doing it right behind the head unit. but I like that idea much better. You gotta do what ya gotta do. I mean hell you just paid a lotta money for the truck I doubt I'd be too game on throwing a ton of money into stereo either.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

that's pretty much what it came down to. I had the sub and amp, so I just thought I would put it in. I love stereo stuff, just not as much as I like other things for my truck. So any money I have to spend on the truck goes to something else. At some point it will all be upgraded.

Quick Reply: stock radio.....amp install?