3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

about exhaust resonators

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 AM
sterling ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about exhaust resonators

Anyone have any tips on the removal of exhaust resonators? Any explanations of how, or a website with explanations/ pictures would be helpful. Is there really that much of a difference in sound or performance? I own a stock '03 dodge ram HEMI single cab and am planning on getting custom exhaust in the near future and was curious on the subject of resonators.

[IMG]local://upfiles/70350/AAEA1150A74F474DAAA255ED758D5E6B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/70350/E4CFA2310D7C49B69DE7E27D3E154C76.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 AM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator
Default RE: about exhaust resonators

It's gonna be LOUD! I don't think performance will be affected,...neither better nor worse. I don't have any pics or vid, since I've never removed them. If you're looking for sound and performance, upgrade your exhaust (mufflers, high-flow cats, and/or maybe headers). Adding a CAI will help, too. That's my 2 cents.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my rtear resonator removed. I am debating about getting the front one removed as well. It will be louder. I have no idea exactly how it will sound if you're still running the stock exhaust. I have a flowmaster super 40 muffler which is about 1/4 the size of the stock muffler however with the both resonators you could hear a difference but it sounded plain wrong. Once I removed the rear resonator it really helped the sound. As far as a performance jump you will not notice one, if thereis one.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:38 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Resonators work by creating a sound chamber where the size and shape are specifically designed so that reflecting sounds off the back wall strike sounds with the exact same frequency entering this chamber, thus effectively neutralizing or cancelling out each other.
Because these are essentially thicker hollow tubes the only restriction is from the smaller diameter going into larger then back to smaller, which is relatively minimal.
So from a performance standpoint, the effect of have a resonator or resonators, is relatively minimal and aside from the "power freaks" who measure everything out to the tenths of a horespower, is of no consiquence.
However, they do an excellent job at what they are designed for, which is making your exhaust quiet, so, if a deep, rich, throaty, loud sound is what you are looking for, the resonator(s) must go...

Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 PM
workingspy
Professional

The easiest and fastest way to remove your resonators is to get a Cat Back installed, the new pipes will come with the resonators not installed. Another important thing is eaither take of both resonator off or leave them on, either you will think they are to loud or not loud enough so dont waste money on a second unnessesary job. Now if for any reason you still want to go louder install an exhaust cutout now thats loud.

Quick Reply: about exhaust resonators