3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Horrable failure while towing...........WHY? pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 07:52 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Horrable failure while towing...........WHY? pics!

It is a tough call on whether to replace that rear end.

First and least inexpensive step would be to install a transmission style lube oil temperature probe in the differential case cover and have a gauge on the dash that would give you more warning of trouble.

You might also consider buying a 'nut jig' and drilling the pinion nut for aircraft style safety wire. This would back up the loctite like thread locking chemical that the Dodge Dealerships use on the threads. Dodge has been changing this thread locking compound trying to kill the problem...but seem to have failed.

Reliable Companies lile
Dr. Diff,
Strange Engineering,
and Mosler Axle
can retro-fit either a Dana 60 or a Ford 9 inch to your Ram.
Cost probably will in the $2000 range or so.

Call Dr Diff and talk it over with him
as he seems to be especially knowledgeable about Mopars:

http://members.aol.com/doctordiff/

Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 PM
pacblueram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont care what anyone says, its a flaw in the 9.25 rams.....mine did it at 90k miles, and is an 02, 2wd, never driven hard, or towed anything. Its a highway truck for me. Rear locked up and hurled my wife and I into a ditch(fortunately for Dodge, no other damage to the truck or my wife and I...) Anyway, I was told it was due to neglect, and that these rears are sound. I have done research on this, and from what I've read on many other sites, it IS a problem. I've filed with the BBB...but of course, no one will get back with you on any of this. I hope a big wig at dodge is reading this.....

Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should take those photo's, make copies and send them both to Dodge and the dealership where you purchased the vehicle. Maybe they can explain, or at least reimburse you for the cost to have it repaired..

To be honest with you, I'm a little concerned, and don't think i will do any towing with my truck....What happened to your truck, i would expect from a passenger car.....Not a truck.....Do me a favor and keep us informed on what happens. I'm sure i speak for everyone on here, we all want to know what caused this......

Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll ask this question anyway..Are the 1500's not suitable as a tow vehicle?

Old 10-20-2007, 04:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Before I sold it this last March, I towed my 20' Bass Boat about 1800 miles total with my '04 Hemi. Not anywhere near the tow capacity at about 2200 lbs., but never had an issue. Mileage didn't even drop more than about1 mpg with it behind me.
A better test was my old '98 1500 SC 360ci 4x4. It logged probablybetween 16,000 & 18,000 miles with my old 18' Bass Boat (probably about 1800 lbs. boat, motor & trailer empty) and later the bigger boat I recently sold in tow. Never an issue there, either. The truck had a 3" body lift and 35" tires with the factory 3.92 gears. Towed great, hardly knew the boat was there, till you got to a gas pump. Sucky gas mileage got REAL sucky with the boat in tow. Had the truck for 68,000 miles and only changed the rear diff. fluids twice and the x-fer case and front diff. once the whole time I had it. I'm a lot better about fluid changes now with my Hemi .

Old 10-20-2007, 04:55 PM
manualagain
Professional

I have a friend who owns and operates an indepent transmisson shop. He was helping out at the shop before he got out of highschool and is pushing 40 now, so lots of experience. I asked him a while back what he has seen with 4X4 trucks (I've never owned one). His response was do your maintainence and your tranny, and transfer case should be fine. He didn't see any significant differences between Ford, GM and Dodge as far as Transmissons and transfer cases. The only item he seviced that seem to have a high rate of failure were Dodge rear ends, significantly higher rate of failule for the Dodge than either Ford or GM. Take it for what its worth.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My uncle retired a couple of years ago after working as a mechanic for 38 years and he always says he'd never give a nickel for a Dodge tranny or a Ford rear end, so go figure...

Old 10-20-2007, 06:12 PM
lewpuckett
Professional

man that is just plain nuts. another optioion is if you get the vin and have the dealership or a good friend (I can do it on a weekday, because my brother in law is a tech) and decode the vin it should give you the original part number of your original 3.55 and at least you would know if they truly replaced it. just a way to see if they did it. otherwise I can not believe it myself. my brother has a 94 ford ranger 3.0L[sm=icon_quiet.gif](YES i know but you can pic your friends not your family) and it would have hauled that. something is way wrong

Old 10-21-2007, 06:08 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is worth noting that in the 1980s the 9.25 differential had a low failure rate and good durability...it certainly was common for them to last 200,000 miles.

The problems with the 9.25 differential seems to have begun around 1992 or perhaps in the 1990-1994 period.

Chrysler should have put out a voluntary Recall and warranty extension on the 9.25

Chrysler probably thinks that they have saved $ by skipping this, but the $ lost on customers who won't buy another product is now, and will continue to be, a greater cost in the long run.

Dodge has had a similar problem on the
'5th Gear Nut'
of NV manual transmissions with the Cummins Rams.

In both cases it is the very simple but essential problem of keeping nuts tight at the proper torque over long periods of time.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks to me like your pinion snapped.
I've seen it a few times before but not on a 9:25 before.
Most likely a bad casting on the gear. Nothingyou couldhave done to prevent it. I'm surprised it lasted that long, most times those kinds of failure usually happen early in a vehicles life.

Quick Reply: Horrable failure while towing...........WHY? pics!