3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease (or lotsa money)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:53 AM
johnb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The squeaky wheel gets the grease (or lotsa money)

My driver's side front started squeaking at about 73,000 miles. Reading some posts on this and another web site led me to think it might be some bushings that needed to be lubed. Here's a summary that my mechanic wrote up for me:

"Axle universal joint was shot - when we went to remove the "bolt-in" front bearing it was seized so badly into the hub that we had to remove the spindle (which, with the axle in, involved cutting the upper ball joint apart). Luckily the upper ball joints were bad anyway. Once the spindle was cut of we were able to press the hub out and only needed to replace the backing plate and bearing. From there it went fairly smoothly. Customer is reminded that the passenger upper ball joint was worse than the driver's and still needs to be replaced"

$32.50 - Diagnostic - check suspension
$70.00 - Replace driver upper ball joint
$148.17 - ball joint - upper
$210.00 - replace axle joint
$83.25 - universal joints
$225.00 - wheel hub assembly
$25.20 - backing plate

$866.76 - Total cost

Needless to say this cost a little more than I was expecting. Would have been nice if it started to make noise before the 7/70 warranty ran out....

Quick Reply: The squeaky wheel gets the grease (or lotsa money)