3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Muffler or...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:40 PM
drhunter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Muffler or...

Hey everyone!

I'm a new guy on here but been a Dodge guy for over 5 years. I have an '05 Ram Quad Cab 4.7L 2WD SLT and am looking at replacing thathuge gigantic10' long stock muffler with a Flowmaster 40 or 50 seriesmuffler. Havent decided which one to get yet but right now my main concern is how much trouble is it to replace the muffler if I do it myself. Any tips or recomendations would be appreciated.

I have looked at just adding dual exhaust from the muffler on back because it seemed to be easier to do than just replacing the muffler itself. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Muffler or...

pfft...dont put a muffler on it, just run it with some pipes...we had a 4.7 with no muffler and that thing was loud...but it sounded good lol

Old 08-20-2007, 04:51 PM
drhunter
Professional

I'd like to but these days I dont know whats legal or illegalto put onnew trucksanymore. Besides, I have a '90 Power Ram 4x4 with straight pipes and it does sound good [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

I would go with just a pipe as well on a 4.7. As far as it being illegal, can't help you out there unless you know that you have emission testing in your area. If not, go with pipe only. You get pulled over, come here, tell us about, then put the muffler on.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
drhunter
Professional

No emission testing where I live though they do not too far away. Enhance my knowledge a bit. I figured replacing the stock muffler would not restrict the air as much thus maybe giving a little more power and gas mileage. I have also heard you dont want to have just it free flowing without any restrictions at all. I don't recall why though. I know I have a couple converters on there so just a pipe might be a good idea buy then there is the wife factor. She might not like it too loud. What to do.....

Old 08-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Wishbone
Record Breaker

It's probably a good idea to have some back pressure. Running straight pipes on a gasser can cause problems over the long run.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Get a dual exhuast kit. If you just replace the muffler you'll have to buy a short piece of pipe and have it bent to match up in the gap between the existing pipe and your new smaller muffler. If you buy a kit you can just throw everything up there and not have to worry about cutting and bending new pipe...

Old 08-20-2007, 08:13 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

put a peice of pipe on it with a peice of 1/2" angle welded in the middle for "restriction" then lol

Quick Reply: New Muffler or...