3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4X4 auto transmission flush

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007 | 05:13 AM
abarmby
|
Champion
Default 4X4 auto transmission flush

Hi.
I've finally got all the stuff ready for a FULL transmission flush as outlined in this excellent article:- http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_F...Procedures.pdf
on my 03 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 qc

Iknow some of you have followed this proceedure and another popular fluid flush proceedure, as I've seen posts on this board about it.
Typically, I can't find that particular proceedure doing a search.........

I have one question however.
Both these proceedures state, drop the pan and replace the filters etc. Then, bolt the pan back up.
They then say, if you want to do a FULL flush by draining the torque converter and not this partial flush by just dropping the pan, remove the return hose from the transmission cooler to the auto box, and let the transmission pump, pumpout the old fluid.
My question is, do I have to bolt up the pan then add new fluid, so the transmission is at the correct capacityof 16 quarts or so before I start to pump out the torque converter?
I obviously don't want to run the transmission dry by pumping out only the 5/6 quarts of fluid left in it, after dropping the pan and just adding through the dip stick what is pumped out of the converter?
Any help in this somewhat confusing part of this flush would be very much appreciated.
Al.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:03 AM
LoFlyer
Professional
Default RE: 4X4 auto transmission flush

Yes, reinstall the tranny pan and refill it to normal level (approx 6.5 qts) before beginning the converter flush. Tranny fluid flow: pan > tq converter >cooler >pan. You need the pan full when you start and you continue to add new fluid to the pan while old fluid is coming out of the cooler return line. After you've added9 quarts during the flush you will have new fluid in the entire system. So that's 6.5 quarts for tranny pan replacement then 9 quarts added during the flush, total 15.5. You'll need to add the last 1/2 quart after you've driven thetruck around and saturated the filters and filled the airpockets created by opening the cooler line.

Old 08-23-2007 | 09:05 AM
tnt1036
Professional

http://www.60ateight.com/DodgeRam/

After you drop the pan and change the filters bolt it back up and fill the pan I believe a 4x4 is 6.5 quarts. Then disconnnect the return line start the truck and refill as much as is getting pumped out. If you pump out and add ten quarts that should be the hole system.

When I bought the filters the flat one came with a gasket for the pan that made it alot easier.

Good luck

Old 08-23-2007 | 12:38 PM
Pirata
Champion
From: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

That article was great. Good call.

Old 08-24-2007 | 09:30 AM
abarmby
|
Champion

Thanks for the help lads.
Been off the board a while so haven't had the opportunity to thank you.
Cheers lads.
Al.

Quick Reply: 4X4 auto transmission flush