3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How deep is too deep in water?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 AM
eglzfan5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How deep is too deep in water?

If you have to ask how deep, it's too deep. I don't wheel my Ram, but I have a heavily modified and lifted Jeep CJ-7. In NJ, all we have is mud and water to play in and let me tell you, water damage is not fun and you'll never be able to hide the evidence of such a crossing when you seize your engine, or flood your tranny. The vent lines for both are too low for a Ram in stock form to cross anything deep. Be smart and be careful. As we in our 4WD club say, "If you have to ask, then it is and you probably already knew that."

Old 08-26-2007, 10:30 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think about bumper deep is a good rule of thumb. when you get back you should change oil in both differentials. my front tends to collect a little water inside. my brother in law drives through creeks all the time on his farm and never changed fluids. his rear end replacement was big $$

Old 08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can safely go through water slowly about 2" shallower than when you hydrolock your engine and/or completely short out your electrical system. This advise will never fail you no matter what.

In all seriousness, you don't want to go through water that will splash water into the intake. Now if your exhaust tip goes under water then under any and all circumstances you CAN NOT SHUT OFF THE ENGINE until you have gotten your exhaust completely out of the water. As long as your exhaust is still blowing you will not get water into the engine. If your exhaust tip has gone under the water it's a good idea to raise your front end on a little mound and get whatever water entered out before shutting your engine down.
Also you don't want water in the cab at all because there are too many electronic components that do not react well to water. So if your door edge to your truck is 18" you really fon't want to go through water deeper than that.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:39 PM
cobra2411
Amateur

I have to agree with OldMoparMan here. Assuming the axle vents are high enough, the Fan is the next issue. I have, and I know people who have gone deeper then that without taking belts off, but you really should. #1 the fan will spash water all over and #2 if the fan "digs in" to the water it'll want to bend and head toawrd the radiator. This is typically an issue if you find a hole and drop the fan into the water. That's why you take the belt off. Now modern clutch fans slip and that's why people get away with it, but if it's an older fan and the cluch is seized you could have an issue.

Watch for swift water because it doesn't take much to move your truck. Also it will want to erode under the tires and sink the truck. So check and expend the vents as needed and try and limit it to the bottom of the fan and you should be fine.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 PM
marv02
Captain

Avoid going past thetop of the dash boardit get hard to see where you going at that point, Oh yea theres some dran plug under the carpet if you go to deep.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM
88xj

i offroad alot , but in my jeep not my ram if you can let someone else go first then you will no how deep it is for sure. Plus you never know whats under the water deep holes logs whatever also if the ram clutch fan is anything like a tj fan they dont like water i went through three of them in one summer crossing water.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:32 PM
mopar74
Professional

Thanks everyone.

I know about the exhaust rules from the Jeep XJ I had before the Ram. I probably won't be first in line driving to the put-in spots.
So I think I am going to go with the Mid -tire/axle height and my tow strap hooked up and sitting on the front receiver hitch tray.
I saw a 2wd F150 get stuck and the group pushed him out downhill towards the ocean. If it wasn't a tidal pool he would have been F***ed. Plus add the salt water in to the equation.

It is mostly 'professionals' into the sea kayaking and they tend to drive subaroo outback's and forrester's.

They think I am insane for using a 4x4 and wasting gas but they are the one's that get stuck the most.But I get to carry all the extra gear and coolers once they are wet with salt water.

Sounds like common sense. Thanks to all. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: How deep is too deep in water?