3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 07:50 AM
snailpower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty

Just wondering what everyones opinions and advice is on buying an extended warranty for my truck. I just bought it a few weeks ago, and will sit until December when I get back from deployment. It's an 06 1500MegaCabHemi, with just under 16K on it. I know ther are companies out there that offer extended warranties for newer vehicles, and extending the factory one is an option. Just wondering what everyones experiences are. Most bang for the buck sorta thing...

Old 08-29-2007, 08:05 AM
marv02
Captain
Default RE: Extended warranty

ORIGINAL: snailpower

Just wondering what everyones opinions and advice is on buying an extended warranty for my truck. I just bought it a few weeks ago, and will sit until December when I get back from deployment. It's an 06 1500MegaCabHemi, with just under 16K on it. I know ther are companies out there that offer extended warranties for newer vehicles, and extending the factory one is an option. Just wondering what everyones experiences are. Most bang for the buck sorta thing...

If you'r Truck has ANYTHING done to it Bigger Tires. Rims.Lift kit, Aftermarket Radio, Ect this will Void the Dodge Extended Warrranity They will get out of fixing you'r truck The contacted states ANY modification will Void the warranity.

I have had that happed to me so beware before you purchase a extended warranity read the fine print.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:34 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Personally, I don't mess with them. But that's because I can't leave my trucks alone and I have found that the stealerships start fighting you as soon as you add the simplest mod.

Example: In 1998 I had a truck with a 3" body lift and cat back exhaust. 11,000 miles on it, wasn't sounding right, also burning about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. Took it to the dealer, couldn't find a problem told me the oil burining was normal for the first 15,000 miles or so (yea right!). A week or so later check engine light came on, brought it back. Thistime (after having it almost a week) they found a piston with a crack in it! Would not cover it under warranty as I "modified" the truck, claiming that my cat back exhaust was creating back pressure and caused the problem.
Here is the good part - so I could finance everything together, THEY sourced the lift, wheels, tires & exhaust. When reminded of this, I was told they'd have to contact the regional rep, to see what they could do. Another 10 days later (after numererous calls to dealer and 800# for company) I got a call, it was determined that the piston had a hairline fracture from manufacturer, they would fix under warranty. Still took anothereleven days to get my truck back.
I traded that POS in less than a month after getting it back, (lost my *** on the deal) boughta '98 Dodge SC 360CI4x4 and would never own that other brand again.
I'm convinced that if I not had the paperwork showing that they sourced ALL the aftermarket work, they would not have covered the repair, even though the aftermarket stuff had nothing to do with the problem.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, IMO, if your gonna keep it stock, keep up with ALL the servicing, PAY for all servicing that the book calls for, then you may come out ahead on an extended warranty.
If you're gonna modify that vehicle in any way, I wouldn't waste my money.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:01 PM
snailpower

Truck is going to stay stock except for a superchips flash. My 70 is my play toy, so I am going to leave this one alone. I do intend to get the regular services done at the dealership, IF they are worth a crap. I worked for several dealerships in the late 80's early 90's and know how they do business.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if can chime in. I purchased a extended warranty with my vehicle when i bought it, and think it's a great idea.
Mine was for 75K miles/7 years. Had to use it a couple of times. Only paid $100.00 deductible, as opposed to paying full price for some of the repairs i needed. (Power steering pump - 2X) I would strongly suggest that if you're going to get the warranty, get it for a longer period than 75K miles/7 years. It goes by way too fast.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:39 PM
marv02
Captain

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Personally, I don't mess with them. But that's because I can't leave my trucks alone and I have found that the stealerships start fighting you as soon as you add the simplest mod.

Example: In 1998 I had a truck with a 3" body lift and cat back exhaust. 11,000 miles on it, wasn't sounding right, also burning about a quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. Took it to the dealer, couldn't find a problem told me the oil burining was normal for the first 15,000 miles or so (yea right!). A week or so later check engine light came on, brought it back. Thistime (after having it almost a week) they found a piston with a crack in it! Would not cover it under warranty as I "modified" the truck, claiming that my cat back exhaust was creating back pressure and caused the problem.
Here is the good part - so I could finance everything together, THEY sourced the lift, wheels, tires & exhaust. When reminded of this, I was told they'd have to contact the regional rep, to see what they could do. Another 10 days later (after numererous calls to dealer and 800# for company) I got a call, it was determined that the piston had a hairline fracture from manufacturer, they would fix under warranty. Still took anothereleven days to get my truck back.
I traded that POS in less than a month after getting it back, (lost my *** on the deal) boughta '98 Dodge SC 360CI4x4 and would never own that other brand again.
I'm convinced that if I not had the paperwork showing that they sourced ALL the aftermarket work, they would not have covered the repair, even though the aftermarket stuff had nothing to do with the problem.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, IMO, if your gonna keep it stock, keep up with ALL the servicing, PAY for all servicing that the book calls for, then you may come out ahead on an extended warranty.
If you're gonna modify that vehicle in any way, I wouldn't waste my money.

My store kinda the same I purchased my truck with oversize tires From a Chrrysler dealer and it blew the spark plug out of the head they were not going to fix it at first but after getting my friend the lawer invold in it and getting the state saying they had to fix it same with me they had the truck more than a month it was not the dealer they said it was cool they will fix it it was the Chrysler extended warrienty plain SUCKS.

After they were made to fix it they voided the rest of my warrienty I had anouther 1.5 years left on it at least, it costChrysler $4500.00 to replace the head and supply the rent a car which they tryed to get out of paying also they said I was over my days I told them if they did not drag there feet I would of been with in my numbered days for the rental.\

I first took it to the Chrysler dealership they told me to take the truck across the street to Ford to be repaired.

Oh yea It took them a extra week to send the Ford dealer a check so I could pick up my truck after the truck was repaired!!..

It was a 2002 Ford F250 S/D 4X4 truck with a 5.4 V-8 they are know to blow out plugs even the Ford serirves writer and the manager told Chrysler It was not do to the oversize tires.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ehh i'm not a big fan of them, cause the majority of the time when you buy them they are a dealer extended warranty, not a Manufacturer extended warranty...problem with buying a dealer extd. warranty is that warranty is only good at that dealership.....if i was to buy one, i would buy the Dodge Extended Warranty

Quick Reply: Extended warranty