3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

buy a ram with high mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:43 PM
clemsonxplorer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buy a ram with high mileage?

im looking to buy a used Ram and obvisiously the more miles it has on it the cheaper it will be.
How long do these things last? What mileage would you say is too high? I have no problem with 50k or 75k. 100k kinda worries me and I surely do not want 150k.
Your thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 PM
muscleman320
Professional
Default RE: buy a ram with high mileage?

well if the transmission has been rebuilt, a dodge will last pretty much forever, after 100k thats pushin it, i've had a few probalems with mine under 50k miles, powertrain ahs been ok though, take it to a mechanic and have him look at the CV joints and trans, if those are good i'd go for it definitely

Old 08-30-2007, 12:28 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude...with as cheap as what you can lease one i wouldnt even bother with buying a used truck unless you plan on moddin it....hell, i can go get an 07 Ram 4x4 Hemi QC SLT for $175/mo with $2100 down for a 27/mo lease.......

i wouldnt buy one over 80K or so.....just do some research and take your time, dont rush into buyin it

Old 08-30-2007, 01:16 AM
bully

If you do decide to lease, there are some things to consider. How much they will nail you for if you go over mileage limit, dents, dings, scratches and all kinds of other bs/ Be careful leading, they have their reasons for low down& low monthlypaymentson leases.

If you buy used, ask for maintenace records and receipts for maintenance. That is a good indication of how well the owner took care of it and how much trouble it might be down the road. Also check to see if recalls have been done on it if there have been any.

Good Luck in your venture however you decide to go.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:27 AM
snailpower

I have a 95 Ram 2500 2WD with 260K on it I'd let go cheap...LOL

360/Auto 4.10 Dana. Trans has been done, but motor still has factory fresh smell to it...

Old 08-30-2007, 06:58 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

snailpower,
I am just curious.
Have you ever had to do any work to that Dana 60 in your 2500 Ram
other than normal lube changes?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
snailpower

Had to have it rebuilt at around 200K. It was sounding pretty bad and my radio was not good enough to drown out the gear whine. LOL

Old 08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

If you know alot about and engines and tranny's and have the means and knowledge to work on them and at the same time love to work on them. Mileage should be of no concern. Now if you are like most people, that don't like to handle the big jobs such as rebuilds, then make sure you have records and know that the vehicle is in good running condition.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:41 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional

Leases are tough. Good for something like a Camry but it sounds like you might wamt to do mods look for a used truck. Simple things on any vehicle to look for maintenance records, appearance of truck (is the interior very clean, tires wear even, but know the difference between someone who just had it detailed to sell it) dont forget about the person selling it. Young kid that got it from mom and dad probably didn't take care of it as well as a kid who scrimped and saved and bought it himself. Also some people are more desperate than others. Moving, cant afford mpg, payments etc.... Good luck man and post pics when you get it.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:31 PM
clemsonxplorer

I'm not leasing one, and hopefully not even taking out a loan. I'm tryin to find around a 2004 for about 15k. I want the sport qc with a hemi and the 20" wheels.
I understand about whether or not the person took care of it, but I was just wanting to know in general how many miles is too high. I'd have no problem buying a Tacoma or a 4Runner with 150k on it.

Quick Reply: buy a ram with high mileage?