3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time for sparkplugs...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 03:09 PM
drhunter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for sparkplugs...

Well my '05 Dodge with the 4.7L is about to crack 30k miles on it so its time to change the spark plugs. Anyone one here have recommendations as to what brand spark plugs to get? Also, I gathered from some research that the 4.7 doesnt have any sparkplug wires. Is this the case? I havent popped the hood yet as Im still at work but am going to this evening. I hope the plugs arent buriedand hard to get too...Anyone else here change there own plugs?

Old 08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran
Default RE: Time for sparkplugs...

ORIGINAL: drhunter

Well my '05 Dodge with the 4.7L is about to crack 30k miles on it so its time to change the spark plugs. Anyone one here have recommendations as to what brand spark plugs to get? Also, I gathered from some research that the 4.7 doesnt have any sparkplug wires. Is this the case? I havent popped the hood yet as Im still at work but am going to this evening. I hope the plugs arent buriedand hard to get too...Anyone else here change there own plugs?
Buried...???? MWAAAAA-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.............

I just replaced mine. Took me about an 1.5 hours, including stopping a few time to do this, that and to kiss the wife & daughter good-bye, asthey weregoing shopping.

-Fold blanket to place on bumper for knee-cushioning.

-Remove your air intake "muffler" and tube to the filter box.

-Remove the 10mm bolt from each coil ontop of each plug. (no wires)

-Remove 2 plugs (electrical) from driver's side (left) of the throttlebody, to get them out of your way. (coil bolt right under them)

-Unscrew, but you don't have to, the retaining bolt on r/h side of throttlebody, on intake, that holds the transmission dipstick. It allows the dipstick to move upwards, to sneak the coil out easier.

-Unplug all 8 coils from harness.

-One at a time, carefully lift off each coil. They pull a little snug, but lift straight up, and they come off.

-Someone advised to blow out the spark plug holes with compressed air.....My recommendation: Do it BEFORE you take the coils out. Each coil has a silicone O-ring to keep dirt and moisture out of the plug holes. If there's any dirt, it's resting on that ring, BEFORE you take the coil out. Blowing dirt out AFTER you take out a coil is worthless, and actually disturbes other dirt on the intake, and causes it to then go down into your spark plug holes.

-I removed and replaced my plugs, one at a time, after I cracked them all loose. I used a socket with the rubber retainer inside. You can also use a piece of hose, a rubber plug installer or an old, long plug boot, but it's too deep to use just fingers.

-Tighten plugs to proper torque. (22 ft lbs?) I've done many plugs, and know the proper tightness "feel". Overtorquing is something you want to avoid, especially with aluminum heads.

-Reinstall your coils, and I cleaned and lubed each O-ring with Dielectric grease. It's silicone based.... Replace any of them that look torn or damaged. They're probably all fine, but inspect them regardless.

-Reinstall bolts for coils, and everything else you loosened, or took off.

I used Autolite plugs, with a gap of .040. Nothing fancy, or expensive.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:24 PM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

use the oem plugs and youll be fine. im not sure if the 4.7 has platinums or not. my 5.7 uses copper champion plugs. 16 of them to be exact. the 4.7 only has 8. i changed my own plugs. on my hemi they are a pain in the butt, but it's a doable job. im glad i dont hve to do it again for a while. it took me almost 2 hours to get all of thoe bastards out. the worst part on my truck was around the master cylinder area and towards the rear of the motor. the rest was cake. you can get msd wires from your local auto part store. they run about 100 dollars i think.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ttuguy1983 you can get msd wires from your local auto part store. they run about 100 dollars i think.
4.7 = no wires

Old 08-31-2007, 11:56 AM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

4.7's have no wires? I take it theres are coils on top of each plug. whats connected to the coils? lol, jk. good call. as you may or may not know. my hemi has wires. it has 16 plugs. only 8 plugs have coils and is shared with an opposing plug via an ignition wire. kind of a funky llooking set up. but it works.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 PM
drhunter
Professional

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys. I think I need more tools lol

Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 PM
ttuguy1983
Veteran

nah, all you need is a scredriver to remove the coils, a spark plug socket to pull them with and some extensions. the short ones are best so you can adjust the length as needed. i dont know if the 4.7 have the plug tubes like the hemi. lso the angular adapters for your ratchet help tons. dont forget to use anti sieze and a good electrical grease.

Quick Reply: Time for sparkplugs...