3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi cutting off

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi cutting off

hey guys i was driving around today and my 04 hemi cut off on me twice. There was no engine trouble (bumping or sputtering), it cut off like i had turned the key to the off position. It happened once while driving about 45 and again at a stop light. To make matters worse i discovered tonight that 80% of my taillights are out. I just installed a system into my truck, do you guys think this would have anyhting to do with it? if not, any other ideas??

Old 08-31-2007, 02:24 AM
ttuguy1983
Veteran
Default RE: hemi cutting off

if you did it yourself and didnt know what you were doing yeah. i did my system and havnt had a problem. even built the box. could also be coincadental. you may have caused a short when you were installing the sytem that fried either your lights or the relay. there is a tsb flash for stalling at the dealership that may help with the stalling. i'd go buy autozone or walmart and have a free check done on your power system first to rule it out. I discovered i had a hesitation problem after installing my bully dog tuner. all is fixed now after a 78 dollar flash.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Hemiriden
Professional

I put a JL sound system powered by a Slash 500/5 amp w/Kenwood 819 deck. I remember when i put it in i had to bypass the stock amp for the infinity sound system. If you have inifinity be careful becacuse other systems run through the amp and radio. I had to get a bypass box for the stock amp. Although i didn't have shorting out issues or engine cutoffs... just my radio didn't work properly.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:00 PM
FSUHEMI
Rookie

i installed everything myself and i actually was told the same thing about the factory amp, but learned that i didnt in fact need to bypass it, that all i had to do was splice the remote wire and run one to the factory amp and one to my aftermarket amp, but i have installed systems in every car i've owned the the only problems i've ever encountered were dead alternator and dead batteries from running too much power . I went ahead and replaced all my taillights asnd noticed that the drivers side reverse light looked like it had been submersed in water and the connection was completely rusted.... do you think this could be shorting out a ground, maybe interferring with a ignition relay somehwere along the way?

Quick Reply: hemi cutting off