3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 PM
suckmyhemi07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering

Has anyone else had a problem with their PS pump? Mine has completely blown up once and not 2 months later the replacement went out...just wanted to know if its a common problem

Old 09-02-2007, 10:46 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran
Default RE: Power Steering

Yes. I've read of P/S pumps failing, P/S racks leaking and one friend of mine's P/S pump sheered all 3 bolts and pulled right off the engine on a cold morning start up....

Sweet, huh?

Old 09-03-2007, 12:06 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did have a problem with mine, took it to the dealership, and they replaced it under warranty. Do a search on this site, you should be able to find something on it. Hope that helps.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 AM
PanzonYMariposa

damn coincedence here...my steering failed on me in a parking lot today. Had to shutdown and restart to get control again. Guess I might have to check on that pump

Old 09-13-2007, 08:27 AM
gchildre

Mine original was fine for 5 years and then started groaning and had slow/hard steering wheel response. Tried to order a Mopar pump but guess what, they were backordered. Replaced it with a Advance reman and had a devil of a time putting the pulley back on, the cheap bolt/washer/nut that comes in the kit is worthless, bought a pulley removal/installation toolset and got it back on. Not 3 months later it went out again, bought a NAPA pumpand this time the pulley broke the my installation tool putting it back on. I took it to my friend at Big10 tires and asked him to press it on using his bearing press, he said Nah I can use my pulley installation tool, I told him that I broke mine and he said his was a professional kit - his broke too. He put it on the bearing press against his judgement, I told him if he squished the whole damned pump into a train-track-penny I would be happy. It went back on and is working fine again.

Quick Reply: Power Steering