3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4.56 gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:29 PM
HAWKDRIVER
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4.56 gear problem

I hear that man! I wanna get 4.56's but can't afford $1200+ and install is above my skill level as this truck is a daily driver and cant risk screwing it up. Your buddy want to hook me up....LOL? How do you like the headers? Any problems with leaks? Are they coated?

Old 09-05-2007, 01:32 PM
ttuguy1983
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much would it cost the average joe walking in?

Old 09-05-2007, 03:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

What kind of gears did you buy? I wasn't too happy with the genuine gears I bought from 4 Wheel Parts because of the noise on decel. They seem to be holding up after 13,000 miles so I'm not complaing too much, however they did come with directions that talked about the break in period.
I have Genuine's installed at 4 Wheel Parts as well. Not a bit of noise.
Your backlash is off a bit. Looks like you're due fora lube change back there in about 2,000 miles. Check the wear pattern of the ring & pinion closely at that time. Thus avoiding any problems later.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:57 PM
SLCHemi
Professional

Doh.....you should wrap your lead tech on the head with a wrench for not tellin' you to take it easy for the first little while and to change your fluid at 500 miles after changing the gears. I'm far from an expert, but I believe the idea of the break-in process is to heat / cool the gears further tempering the metal. If it were me, I'd be seriously stressin' over how long those gears will last now.....

Old 09-05-2007, 06:44 PM
BIGMC69
Amateur

yeah i here ya'll i am ordering another set of gears from summit racing, richmond gears hopefully this time they will be right. dropped the cover today all looks good pattern is ok not perfect, but gears are burnt and to be honest the noise is better than when i first had them installed. but i am still going to replace them anyway at his expense (labor that is).

also next up my 212x cams are in from krc performance, looking forward to the install on those. i dont think we will mess those up at all. also have some aluminum valve covers powder coated lolipop blue, kind of like a candy blue color to put on when the job is done. should look good.

to answer hawkdriver i love the headers. no there not coated just stainless, but notice a big difference when they were installed.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 AM
motorhead426
All Star

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

ORIGINAL: motorhead426

What kind of gears did you buy? I wasn't too happy with the genuine gears I bought from 4 Wheel Parts because of the noise on decel. They seem to be holding up after 13,000 miles so I'm not complaing too much, however they did come with directions that talked about the break in period.
I have Genuine's installed at 4 Wheel Parts as well. Not a bit of noise.
Your backlash is off a bit. Looks like you're due fora lube change back there in about 2,000 miles. Check the wear pattern of the ring & pinion closely at that time. Thus avoiding any problems later.
I change the fluid every 8k to 10k miles because I have a PML cover with a drain plug, it makes it SOOO EASY. The pattern is fine. And when they were installed, the depth was good. We even had to decide to use a shim that was .001" too loose or too tight. We opted for too tight to accomodate break in. I'm too worried about it. The noise is just there, and the truck runs great!

Quick Reply: 4.56 gear problem