3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken window

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:38 AM
Dragonrep
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken window

My drivers door window was broken last week [:@], any ideas where I can get the glass cheap? I've replaced a window many years ago (VW beetle, old style), but any clues or tricks for installing glass in a power window? The estimate from my dealer is $601 parts and labor. I'ld like to cut that down somewhat[sm=helpout.gif]
I've been ghosting this forum for a while and have picked up lots of info, but this is my first post. Thanks all!

Old 09-08-2007, 10:41 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: Broken window

check your insurance company. I had a window in my old truck break last winter, called them up and i didnt even have to pay a deductible. Came home and had a brand new rear window!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:22 PM
trecool88

look for a local auto glass company, almost always cheaper than the dealer.... or maybe a salvage yard, i know a company called pilkington makes many replacment windows for all sorts of vehicles, if you can buy directly from them (not sure if they do retail)it's not too hard to change, you just need to take the door skin off and get all the broken glass out and take the clips off the regulator, put them on the glass, then re-attach them to the regulator.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, if you have comprehensive coverage, you'll only be out the deductible (plus the cost of the baseball bat to clobber the culprit) :-)

Old 09-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Seanutz
Veteran

Deductible-$50
Baseball Bat- $14
Seeing the face of the guy that broke your window as he cowers in fear- priceless

Old 09-08-2007, 05:28 PM
metalwolf69
Rookie

hey HansonHVAC ur avatar is nice, mines better lol

Old 09-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Dragonrep
Amateur

Yeah, I could enjoy that quite a bit, but it was one of the neighborhood kids, and pinning down which one...well, I'm sure that everyone is completely innocent[sm=smiley35.gif]
trecool88, do you mean the outside skin of the door or the inside panel?? The inside I could handle, but the outside is a bit beyond my skills. The window wasn't shattered, it has a crack all the way across just above the seals, only on one side of the plastic layer.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:55 PM
trecool88

when i say door skin i mean the inside panel, shouldn't be too difficult to get off, though i've never tried it on a 3rd gen ram.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:21 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

I have the exact same thing with mine. I am looking around but not in any hurry. The plastic wont allow it to break, so mine is going to stay cracked till I find one at a junk yard or something. I am not paying 600 for a window.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
trecool88

that's weird, most side windows are not laminated glass like you're describing, they're tempered which is much more resistant to breaking but when it does break it shatters into tiny pieces. if your side window is laminated (like the windshield is) then take your time, it wont fall apart on you anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Broken window