3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

So I called the 4wd shop today to ask about the Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Zack1978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I called the 4wd shop today to ask about the Ram

Hey everyone,
I called my local 4wd shop today (they are a good shop, and I have used them for many years) to ask for some feedback on the 07 2500 4x4 Hemi. He feels that the Ford is hands down the best quality heavy duty work truck, however the Dodge is a very close second. His words of caution with the Dodge were that the axle's are total trash, as they are not Dana's. But other than the axle's he feels that in general it is a good truck that will last for many years to come. Any dodge forum feedback on the above noted ideas?

Thanks,
Zack

Old 09-12-2007, 11:36 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: So I called the 4wd shop today to ask about the Ram

i have an 03 ram 2500 and it has the chrysler axles and (knock on wood) and i havent had any problems... its a heavy duty set up

Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 PM
marv02
Captain

[quote]ORIGINAL: Zack1978

Hey everyone,
I called my local 4wd shop today (they are a good shop, and I have used them for many years) to ask for some feedback on the 07 2500 4x4 Hemi. He feels that the Ford is hands down the best quality heavy duty work truck, however the Dodge is a very close second. His words of caution with the Dodge were that the axle's are total trash, as they are not Dana's. But other than the axle's he feels that in general it is a good truck that will last for many years to come. Any dodge forum feedback on the above noted ideas?

Thanks,
Zack
[/qu

I use to own a 2002 Ford F-250 XLTSD 4X4 with 6.5 inch lift 37-14.50-18 MT ATZ regeared to 4.88 posi both ends with 5.4 V-8, ECT.

FORDS they have there own KNOW common Problems sure Dodge dont have the best 1/2 rear ends but then once again FORDS have a lot more high repair cost problems there brake suck, front axle at the rottor reduce down to half theyO/D at that point they shear off, go though ball joints, blow out spark plugs, have electrical short Trany you need to dump about $4000.00 in to the trany to make them good,, Front windsheild leak,. The 10.25 Strearling rear end can be a nightmare also been there done that the list keeps on goung on and on Start reading the Ford truck Fourm go back a couple months look for you'r self.

If my Dodge only problem is KnowRear end and Trans problems I can live with that I much Happyer with this DODGE than my last 13 years owning FORDS.

I use to be only a Ford man I seen the light and like what I driving Now hands down better, But making payments still Bites.

No truck perfect they all have the good points and bad If you don't like what you read and see Go buy you self a GM Product then a Ford then you see the lightthen get a DODGE after that and you see what you beeen missing.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford is not the best chioce for any pick up, I too used to be a Ford Man, Now I'm A dodge guy.

I'm positive the new super duty's have the weaker of the Danna axels, or thier a Ford axle. At one point in time Dodge, Gm and Ford used Danna 44s.

I hate CV joints, so a front solid axel is a better chioce as well as a biger ring and pinion in the rear, ie 3/4 ton.

I'm basied on my opion of Ford, All I would ever own, than I had a bad run with them.

Axel seals on the first run of the 04 F-150's were bad and I broke the right axel shaft on a 02 F-150 with a ltd slip 355.

I will admit Dodge 1/2 ton's need more maintance than A ford orGm, but the 2500 is a way better buit truck over the 1500 Ram.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 AM
marv02
Captain

I been told by one of my buddies that owns a rear end shop change out the rear end fluid once a year and it should last you a long time.

I getting ready to change out the rear end gears to 4.10 after the 3 year 36000 is over about a year I think whenit will go over the Millage mark I will beef up the carrior Aftermaket one like a TrueTrac Limmited Slip, And build a better custom rear end cover that holds more Fluid and cooling fins for the heat, so it will be more bullet proff at that time it mite cost me $1000.00 or so but that one less thing I need to worry about then.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:40 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that there's no such thing as a stupid question, i'll ask mine.
If the Dana rear ends were so good, why did Dodge discontinue it's use? Did they stop making them?

Old 09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Dana axle in my 3rd Gen, and they are one of, if not, the best out there.

Oh, in my 3rd Gen SRT that is

Old 09-13-2007, 05:34 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright put it this way in my 1500, I opened it up and found the clutch pack clip that everyone talks about. I went to the dodge tech and he said to just clean everything out put in new oil and additive and run it. So after hearing that, i guess the clips arn't that big of a deal like everyone says it is. Hence, my rear end runs perfect, no noises and i tow a boat and a 10000lb trailer. So I wouldn't worry about the rear end.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:30 PM
SLCHemi
Professional

I have an '05 2500 and have never had any trouble with my axles. I do maintain the truck to the highest standards, only using high end stuff, etc...I know allot of folks (myself included) felt let down when Dodge stopped using Dana axles in most of their stuff. I heard talk of supply problems which would fit considering Dana filed bankruptcy (http://www.dana.com/reorganization ) - They are of course still around...who knows..

I think each person has their own preference, mine has always been Dodge for trucks even though I grew up in a Chevy household (now they drive Dodge's too..haha!). Each have their own issues, but at least in my experience you can't beat a Dodge truck! This speaks to the 4X4 shop's comments...they have their preferences, often based on good marketing and some experience but that seems to end up making people stupid loyal...Even though a Dodge man, each time I've bought a new truck I've driven the competition first just to make sure I'm not being stupid loyal....each time I've ended up with a Dodge hands down...That's really my point, do some research on each brand's forums, and go drive them and see for yourself what the best choice for you is...

Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't understand Ford loyalty. My cousin had a Ford F-150 in the late 90's. Had it for 1 year, of that year, it had been at the dealership more than he had it for his own use. Was in the shop so much, he bought a used car to get back & forth to work (a freakin' Taurus, no less). He had to get dropped off & picked up many times when both were down.
So anyway after a year of this mess (and cussin' out the Ford everytime I talked to him) he trades it in. Losses about 40% of his intitial investment (after only 1 year and 6,000 miles- it's all the use he could get out of it) and trades it in --- ON A FORD!!!!!

Quick Reply: So I called the 4wd shop today to ask about the Ram