3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

running rich?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007 | 06:35 PM
iusuallydriveVWs
Default running rich?

so Rosie's mileage has gone from horrible to atrocious, I can usually stretch out a full tank to about 310, 320 miles, ever since the check engine light came on she's been getting about 240 miles to a full tank. I have two faults stored:

P0442 Evaporative Emissions Control System (small leak)
P0455 Evaporative Emissions Control System (gross leak)

I called my local Dodge farm to see what to do, and the guy suggested I make sure all my tune-up stuff has been done, so I did plugs, air filter, cap and rotor, cleaned the throttle body and dumped in some fuel injector cleaner. She's running and pulling harder and smoother than ever, but still sucking petrol like a *****. I'm thinking this is something bigger, failure of an electronic part....has anyone else ever dealt with this issue? Much appreciation.

oh by the way, Rosie is an '02 1500 4x4 with the 5.9 engine.

-Mike

Old 09-15-2007 | 08:52 AM
gchildre
Default RE: running rich?

I haven't had this code myself but I seem to recall that it can point to a bad gas cap or the hoses and vapor canister underneath the truck on the drivers side frame rail. I can't clearly rationalize the lower MPG from the problem or code. I would thinkO2 sensors for a rich running engine, that is the first wearable part that fails in the injector pulse width loop in my opinion but there is a code for that as well.

Old 09-16-2007 | 05:35 PM
iusuallydriveVWs
Default RE: running rich?

bumpity bump

Quick Reply: running rich?