3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Air Fuel Controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007 | 06:41 PM
rammindodge03
|
Rookie
Default Air Fuel Controller

I was wondering if anyone is running one of these or has a friend that is running one. My friend at work told me that i can get more MPG if i got the configuration right. Also i can tune it for more hp for when i need it. I am looking at the APEXI brand of controller. Anyone have any advice please let me know.

Thanks,
Rammindodge03

Old 09-18-2007 | 07:32 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Default RE: Air Fuel Controller

I've also asked why it's never been tried when it's a common item on import vehicles. All I've found so far is that if you tweak it too much you'll triger a CEL because the ECU sees values too far from the norm. It still couldn't hurt, especially for trucks with a few mods.

FWIW, I ran an Apexi SAFC back when it was just a few dials, not a fancy display like it is today. It's hard to believe that was 13+ years ago.

Old 09-18-2007 | 10:58 PM
rammindodge03
|
Rookie

My friend at work is going to buy it for 150 dollars. i am going to pay for it from him after he tunes his car with it.

Old 09-19-2007 | 01:11 AM
deanj287
Captain

the truck runs off of speed density, different tuning than a maf set up. get a psc-1 or arc-1 or smt-6. the arc-1 is a hundred or two and then a good wwideband af gauge is another 2-300. so is it worth 500 bucks if you dont need it or if you arent runing a bigger cam causing map voltage issues...

stock for stock most any ccar can be tuned better due to individual engines never being the same right out of the box. i can see an increase in mpg but cant tell ya it will blow your mind.

Old 09-19-2007 | 10:22 AM
John M
Record Breaker

The SAFC has modes for both MAF and speed density. It does all the work for you - you just adjust for more or less fuel at different RPM levels. It tweaks the MAP reading to trick the ECU into making the changes you set. However, I doubt it's programmed for any domestic vehicles so it may be hard or impossible to set it up to work with our engines.

The SAFC lets you have two different settings for part and full throttle correction which may help keep away the CEL.

Old 09-19-2007 | 05:35 PM
deanj287
Captain

^^ same as the arc-1. except there is no preset tune or what ever. ive heard of guys doing it with out a gauge but cant see the benefits in that... or the safety

Quick Reply: Air Fuel Controller