3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clearing computer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:15 PM
NviousZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearing computer?

Sup guyz, just wondering about the computer,
some peeps say that the computer 'learns" how you drive and sets everything to that........i just bought my truck and i was wondering because i bought mine used to reset the comp so it learns how i drive....
so would i just disconnect the battery for like a minute and it should be ok????

Any suggestions are welcome, thx all.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 PM
Colin467
Default RE: Clearing computer?

unhook the batter for about 15 mins to do that

Old 09-20-2007, 05:21 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to disconnect the battery to do anything like what you are talking. The computer doesn't learn how you drive, it learns your mods and adjusts accordingly. Mods meaning, exhaust, intake, etc. The way you drive means nothing because you will change the way you drive everyday and has no eefect on the computer.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:51 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate that about this site. Bunch of little kids that read/hear something and think they are experts.

The way to reset the pcm is this:

Leave battery CONNECTED, DO NOT DISCONNECT IT.

Buckle the driver seat belt to that it won't cause chimes that will be confusing.

Remove the PCM/SKIM fuse from the fuse box. Its marked on the bottom of the fuse box lid.

Insert key and turn all the way to RUN and wait for the couple of chimes to stop. Turn key to START and hold it there until you hear 2 chimes. The truck will not turn over.

Remove key, unbuckle seatbelt, replace fuse, done.

The first time you go to start it, there may be a delay for cranking for a second or two. This is normal.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 PM
chadmech28
Professional

This is Correct about the NGC controllers, it does adjust shift points and thing like that according to the way you drive. I have a custumer come in with his 06 charger SRT-8 and said it isn't as fast as the other one on the lot. So i drove both with him and sure enough the one one the lot had a bit more jamb. I could feel it a bit and the Star scan confirmed it. This is when I first ran into this concern. So i did a Controller reset and it was back to normal. Well the problem was this guy wife drove the car alot and was a non agressive driver, so when he got in it and wanted to go he noticed a bit of difference. So i showed him with fuse to remove when this would happen.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:16 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

ORIGINAL: kenihemi

I hate that about this site. Bunch of little kids that read/hear something and think they are experts.

The way to reset the pcm is this:

Leave battery CONNECTED, DO NOT DISCONNECT IT.

Buckle the driver seat belt to that it won't cause chimes that will be confusing.

Remove the PCM/SKIM fuse from the fuse box. Its marked on the bottom of the fuse box lid.

Insert key and turn all the way to RUN and wait for the couple of chimes to stop. Turn key to START and hold it there until you hear 2 chimes. The truck will not turn over.

Remove key, unbuckle seatbelt, replace fuse, done.

The first time you go to start it, there may be a delay for cranking for a second or two. This is normal.

Dude.....it's every site.Whether it be motorcycles, trucks or the newest sex toys.........

I see it all the time......

Actually, you don't crank the truck over, and yes it WILL crank with the ECM/SKIM fuse out, however, it won't start. Instructions I believe are simply:

Remove ECM/SKIM fuse in fuse box.
Buckle the driver seat belt (to eliminateseat belt chimes)
Shut door.
Put in key and turn it to RUN position.
Remain there until you hear 2 chimes.
Turn key off.
Replace fuse.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 PM
dieseldoc1
Professional

bought mine used so won't it relearn my driving now it has a new owner?without pulling fuses?

Old 09-21-2007, 04:09 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

ORIGINAL: dieseldoc1

bought mine used so won't it relearn my driving now it has a new owner?without pulling fuses?
I'm gonna say No, to that. I've owned mine (used)since May. Never occurred to me to clear the computer, however I added the Superchips program in June.

I always thought my truck was a litle "Doggy", until I cleared the Computer in July and drove it again. Seat in the pants difference.

Without the SuperChips programmer, I noticed an immediate difference in shifting, after about 50-60 miles of driving, with ME driving it. Prior, my shifts were drawn out, sloppy, and loose prior to clearing the computer. Only the Superchips 91 octane program made a difference. Less then that.....sloppy.

After clearing: crisp and firm without the Superchips and overall better, throughout the performance spectrum.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:36 PM
nastyram
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hummmmm,got my truck in 05 used,you think it will help me,i drive pretty much idle an wide open,

Old 09-21-2007, 05:50 PM
OldMoparMan
Veteran

ORIGINAL: nastyram

hummmmm,got my truck in 05 used,you think it will help me,i drive pretty much idle an wide open,
It can't hurt anything......

I'd rather start out with a base setting, and know what the gig is, then assume.

Quick Reply: Clearing computer?