3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Honda vs Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:34 PM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda vs Ram

Ok,

Last weekend a guy (I’m guessing 22 years old) in a Honda sedan (maybe an accord as I don’t know to much about Honda cars) comes over to our house to pick up his girlfriend.

As he pulls up I notice the thing is revving about 2 to 2.5 k at idle. After he turned it off I said "Hey man your idle sounds a little high" and he replied "Oh that’s because of the cam." Then he went on to explain how he has the biggest motor Honda makes and what all he has done to it. As he went into Brag mode I just went back to working on our Halloween decorations.

He sat down and started talking to his girlfriend and my wife; I noticed that he could not communicate with them; he would attempt to turn the conversation back to his car. The thing that I found humorous was he ended every other sentence with “See what I’m saying”

Anyway he eventually asked the wife if she wanted to race and she said sure. Well that wasn’t going to happen because the wife and I had a few beers in us. But he kept on about it and said to her “That big *** truck didn’t have a chance against his Honda unless it could run in the 12s.” I could tell the guy really didn’t know **** from shinenoal about automotive performance.

I had had enough and finally spoke up and said ok Man we will do three races Best 2 out of 3 wins. The guy said “OK sure!” My wife pipes up and says “What is this…Pinks?” I laughed and continued with my train of thought.

I stated the 1st race would be a flat quarter mile.

The 2nd race we would hook them bumper to bumper and pull across a center line.

The final race would be a trip to Home Depot and pick up a pallet of concrete blocks and tow a 4000 lb travel trailer for 100 miles. Or Drive 100 yards thru 2 feet of standing water.

He wasn’t real pleased with those choices backed out of the deal and left a few minutes later.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:51 PM
lewpuckett
Professional
Default RE: Honda vs Ram

Really good options. Next time offer to help carry him in the cab of your truck while pulling another honda. Also I believe the biggest motor honda is like a 2.5 (could be wrong) a minivan has a 3.0 and you can get them with a 3.8L. The only contest he could probably win would be the most miles per gallon test. Otherwise just think he is just a 22yr old and just has not realized the errors of his youth yet. (I know I use to think a mustang was the baddest thing on the face of the earth in my early 20's[sm=badidea.gif] and now realize I was wrong).

Old 09-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good choices of competitions there Gramps.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:13 PM
Rabones22
Rookie

Honda vs Ram . . let me see. Ram. I don't know man, I have a lot of Honda civics, Honda accords, and Preludes in my town. Everytime I've been with one at a light and they've seemed to have modified their rig out, exhaust / intake / exterior mods as well - I've raped them. They rev up and I rev up . . . we floor and I'm leaving them in the dust.

Never had 1 honda beat me. Maybe because the ones I've raced never really did any REAL performance mods but all I've noticed is they're weak all around.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:18 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

i dont even waste my time racing lil ricer cars...dont wanna waste the gas on em lol

Old 09-23-2007, 05:25 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new generation of kids owning cars never had the experiance of driving or hot rodding rwd V/8. Thiers a lot of reving, H/P in the Vteck engine, but a honda is still a tin can with no torque.

Thiers never a replacement for displacement, but 500 H/P in a 18 whealer is not going to make it faster than a 250 H/P honda.

A new honda cvic off the show room floor out performs a stock 1975 Camaro.

But a honda car is never out going to out perform the utility of a pick up..

And I like the honda ridge line, Car it is, not a truck, but a nice car.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:58 PM
kenihemi
All Star

2 thoughts.

When I get challenged by the race cars and lightnings and nos 2wd, 2door, I say OK under these conditions. Its gonna be best out of 4.

Standing 1/4 mile, OK, I'll give that one to you.
You put enough weight in your vehicle to make it weigh as much as my truck (5400lbs without driver) and we have at it.
Tug of war
Standing 1/8th mile in a foot of snow.

Dang is I was never taken up on it.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:37 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh heh - some of us have a truck and an import. I bought my truck to do truck things. The longer I have it, the more it'll get modded. I'm new to owning a Hemi but after 4 months I'm still very impressed with it. The fact that it's so quick while also being able to haul things is just icing on the cake.

I also have a plain looking import. It's usually mistaken for a Camry with a hood scoop:

The badge on the front is Subaru. It sounds like most of the respondants in this thread would consider it a waste of their gas. That's unfortunate, because it runs low 13s at 104-105 mph and puts down about 300 torque to the wheels. Not bad for a 4 cylinder with $500 in mods. It's got all wheel drive so rain or bad weather doesn't bother it one bit. No fart exhaust -- actually, no noise at all. It's damn near silent while laying the smack down.

Don't worry - I hand out lessons in the truck too. It easily beats true ricers and even has two BMW 325 kills. I can't wait to take it to the local 1/8th just to get a timeslip. Then I hear the call of a cam and headers, then a torque converter, and it never ends!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:42 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

lol i think thats fair!!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Man I was glad when I read this post!!! I was thinking I was going to have to come in here and chew your *** for comparing jap-crap to real american muscle!!Sorry Pappy, I assumed, I should have known better. Anyway good story and its nice to hear you didn't actually race due to the alcohol!

Quick Reply: Honda vs Ram